icon

i have a problem with blowing amps.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 13, 2007 at 7:48 PM / IP Logged  
I though Alphasonik was owned by Audiobahn...not really sure just heard it on another forum
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2007 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  
alphasonik is ownder by the annaba group, which owns audiobahn, ichibahn, and quite a few others I cant think of off the top of my head
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
chris305 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2007 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged  

well i do have it running at 2ohms. i had two ma audio amps 4000's but there stable at 2ohm and the protection comes on all the time so i changed them to two power acoustik 5000's and i blow one ma audio and i blow one power acoustik 5000. and the kicker 2500 is only going to give them 625rms i wanan run atlteast 850rms to them. and if i get the kicker 1500 each amp plays two thats 2000 in just the amps and i dont have space for 4 amps that size. cause kicker subs could always take more rims than it says. also my gains are set all the way up on both. and bass boast at 18hz on both i want them subs to jump out the box or wanan jump out. i dont wanna have to put my raido on vol 50 somethin to get them loud. i just put it on vol 20 and its hitting hard

jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2007 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  
chris305 wrote:

well i do have it running at 2ohms. i had two ma audio amps 4000's but there stable at 2ohm and the protection comes on all the time so i changed them to two power acoustik 5000's and i blow one ma audio and i blow one power acoustik 5000. and the kicker 2500 is only going to give them 625rms i wanan run atlteast 850rms to them. and if i get the kicker 1500 each amp plays two thats 2000 in just the amps and i dont have space for 4 amps that size. cause kicker subs could always take more rims than it says. also my gains are set all the way up on both. and bass boast at 18hz on both i want them subs to jump out the box or wanan jump out. i dont wanna have to put my raido on vol 50 somethin to get them loud. i just put it on vol 20 and its hitting hard

You have your gain all the way up!!!! there is your first problem.
your second problem is the fact that you think the power acous ta junk can produce over 1200 watts at all.
The 2500 would put more power then you have ever heard on those woofers
You need to read about how to set you gain, IT IS NOT A VOLUME KNOB
invest in some good amps please!   power costs money! you should figure $200-300 per real 1000 watts of power if not more!
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2007 at 10:41 PM / IP Logged  

chris305 wrote:
also my gains are set all the way up on both. and bass boast at 18hz on both

Duh.  This is a perfect recipe for blowing amps, subs or both.  As Jeff says, you are destroying your gear because you apparently don't know what you are doing.  Set them up correctly, and get some decent amps if you want decent power.

Support the12volt.com
aznboi3644 
Posted: January 14, 2007 at 1:52 AM / IP Logged  
lol...gains ALL THE WAY UP AND BASS BOOST ON +18db
Yeah this is why you are blowing your amps man...seriously read the sticky on how to set your gains.
the gain is NOT a volume knob...
chris305 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2007 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  
ok but the higher the gain the more power the amp puts out at low vols. it doesnt matter how the gain is if the gain shows that it can go all the way up ima put them liek that so i get all the power out of the amp. and power acoustik is a good amp cost me $600. and the ma audios are good amps too and they cost me $500. its not all bout that. its about why i blow them for theres got to be a reason. because i had a concept amp that cost $300 and it was 2410 at 1ohm and i had it at 1 ohm playing 4 15in kicker cvr and i didnt have a problem with the gain and bass boast all the way up. until i put a 5th 15 on it and it put the ohm loud to 0.8ohm and thats when i blow it. but it lasted over a year of just  pounding. and as it says in the book to put the gain ass you put the vol. it doesnt make a diff if you put the gain half way or all the way. all it does is that you could just put your vol on your radio louder if its at half way gain.it probably cant take the heat for long
chris305 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2007 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  
what i was told that the higher you put the gain the more powerr you need to give the amps and i think i dont have the power to putout to the amps and thats why its shorting out. if i were to put them half way i think ti will last longer until i get more batteries and a second alternator
aznboi3644 
Posted: January 14, 2007 at 1:11 PM / IP Logged  
chris305 wrote:
ok but the higher the gain the more power the amp puts out at low vols. it doesnt matter how the gain is if the gain shows that it can go all the way up ima put them liek that so i get all the power out of the amp. and power acoustik is a good amp cost me $600. and the ma audios are good amps too and they cost me $500. its not all bout that. its about why i blow them for theres got to be a reason. because i had a concept amp that cost $300 and it was 2410 at 1ohm and i had it at 1 ohm playing 4 15in kicker cvr and i didnt have a problem with the gain and bass boast all the way up. until i put a 5th 15 on it and it put the ohm loud to 0.8ohm and thats when i blow it. but it lasted over a year of just pounding. and as it says in the book to put the gain ass you put the vol. it doesnt make a diff if you put the gain half way or all the way. all it does is that you could just put your vol on your radio louder if its at half way gain.it probably cant take the heat for long
hahaha dude seriously you need to do some research and learn man...the gain is NOT a volume knob...the "power" that your getting is most likely a horrible distorted clipped signal and your setup prolly sounds like crap from it.
if you think that you can just crank the gain and bass boost all the way up and expect it to sound "good" and for the amp to put out a "clean signal" than you are pretty ignorant...and whoever told you the higher you turn up the gain the more power the amp puts out...yeah thats true to a certain extent depending on many factors...but seriously you need to do some research
Taken from www.bcae1.com
"Amplifier Gain Controls:
    Contrary to popular belief, an amplifiers gain control does not determine the maximum power that an amplifier can produce. As long as the preamp/drive signal has sufficient level, the amplifier will produce its maximum power output level. The gain controls are used to match the amplifer's gain to the gain of the other amplifiers in the system (in the case of a multi-amp system). The gain controls also allow you to match the amplifier(s) to the head unit. Not all head units have the same maximum preamp output voltage. Some head units are capable of producing 9 vrms out while others are only capable of 1.5 vrms out."
you can read more about the gain control here
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic