icon

Amps, how hot is too hot?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Sad, little man 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2007 at 7:42 PM / IP Logged  
I just installed an Eclipse 3122 amp in the trunk of my '96 Miata (thanks haemphyst) and I just went on a two hour long trip with the trunk packed. When I got to my destination, I popped the trunk and put my hand on the amp. Sure enough it didn't appriciate having stuff on top of it. (however I made sure to put something soft on it to keep it from getting scratched up which, I know, probably only made matters worse. Trying to take care of it haemphyst, I love the little thing!) It was warm to the point where it was a bit unpleasant to leave my palm in any one spot on the amp for more then about five seconds. And I can assume that if the heatsink is that warm, whatever is under it must be pretty toasty.
Now, at no point in the trip did the amp protest or switch off. But, I'm guessing that from now on it would be a good idea to keep stuff off of it, or if that's not possible keep the volume down, or do you guys think that the thermal protection is over-engineered enough so that it'll switch itself off long before any damage is done, so I shouldn't be concerned about it unless it's switching off.
Edit: You know, thinking about it, I may just make a little lexan shelf to mount to the mounting holes on the amp that sets about a half inch off of the top of it so it'll still get good airflow over the heatsink with things piled on it, and it'll protect it from damage. But still, out of curiousity, what do you guys think about the heat?
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2007 at 11:05 PM / IP Logged  
It never ran hot even once for me, BUT, I was only running tweeters off it. Amps, how hot is too hot? -- posted image. Now, on the other hand, I have (in the past) run my 34230 so hot that I couldn't keep my hands on it for any prolonged period of time either. (That was back when 1100 watts to a single 10 was unheard of... THEN I bought the DA7232 and ran that same Ti10 off IT...) The Eclipse amps are REALLY good gear, and well protected thermally. While the lexan "cooling shelf" might not be a bad idea, I think you're OK, overall... They lived in the trunk of my BLACK Civic, in Bakersfield, California, where air temps in the summer frequently hit 110 degrees, and I'm sure they hit mid-100's (or better) in the trunk, easily...
Oh, I'm also very glad you are happy with your new acquisition. It is a really nice little amp.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Sad, little man 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2007 at 8:39 AM / IP Logged  
Ok, but I still say you're a madman with overpowering for running an entire amplifier for just tweets when it's powering my enitre component set to my liking. Amps, how hot is too hot? -- posted image.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2007 at 10:06 AM / IP Logged  
BWAHAHAHAH! How about using a 370wpc (RMS) amplifier (the Eclipse 34230) for JUST THE 6's in my doors! Still think I have ANY sanity remaining?
When too much is a good place to start, people come see me... Overkill is my minimum!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic