icon

Toyota Yaris door actuators?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dexinefx 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2007 at 1:17 AM / IP Logged  
hi have a base yaris and was trying to install power door locks over the weekend but when i opened the door panels i did not see the regular rods and stuff for the locking system all i saw was one cable that hooked up to the door lock thinky on the door...couldn't figure out how to install the actuators..has anyone out there installed actuators in a yaris before??? if so how did you do so???? thanks.
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2007 at 6:32 AM / IP Logged  
We usually don't do cable drive locks so we turn away any Yaris that comes to us for locks. That doesn't mean it isn't possible. You can try removing the door latch assembly and see if it is possible to mount an actuator to it and make it work. We have done this a few times on other cars, like Nissan trucks. It's a real pain, but if it's your own car it might be worth the extra effort....
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
captainzab 
Silver - Posts: 606
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2007 at 9:24 AM / IP Logged  
You can go to the junkyard and see if they got the entire assembly with actuators built into it arleady.
I was never able to install regular actuators into cable type
Note: You Always Dont Get What You Pay For.
soultinter 
Copper - Posts: 170
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2007 at 9:41 AM / IP Logged  
Peripheral has a part out now for doing cable door locks
tbone587 
Copper - Posts: 167
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2007 at 6:07 PM / IP Logged  
I have done actuators in cable door lock systems a few times, but never in a yaris..  Im sure it is the same though.  It definately is a little harder to do, but you can do it.  U have to cut the sleeve of the cable system to expose the actual cable running through.  You also need to secure the cable to the door so it has more tension.     The most recent vechiles i have done with cable lock systems were hondas and ford focuses.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 15, 2007 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  
look foward to where the cable attaches to the handle (the pull). Is there any plastic you can put a hole in and run the part (the rod clamp) all the way up to the plastic. This is how yado it on a Hyundai elantra. say a 2004.
delexatek 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2007 at 2:28 AM / IP Logged  
yes on the yaris you have to drill a hole through the plastic lever itself. you'll need to cut a notch out of the top of the piece before drilling. it's very similar to a 05-07 corolla actuator install
concepts99 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2007 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  
xscash 
Copper - Posts: 317
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2007 at 12:32 PM / IP Logged  
concepts99 wrote:

See this

http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/product.php?productid=6278

great part......5.50$ from microalarm.com

expandable sound
south of boston
j12v 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2007 at 2:38 AM / IP Logged  

Ive worked at a Toyota dealership before and when the Yaris's first came in I honestly thought it was going to be a cake job... Unfortunately, I pulled a Yaris that did NOT have power door locks nor a radio. It took me about 3 hours to finally figure out how to mount the actuator though, and the most hardest part IMO is slipping the door panel back in.

I used a regular actuator and no special cable attaching things like the link posted above. I did however what delex had mentioned which was drill into the locking lever and cut a piece of plastic from the top portion right above the locking lever. Then I screwed back in the door handle, and mounted the actuator I believe to the left (If you were doing the drivers door; facing it). Now that everything was in place, I removed the door handle screw and snapped the door handle back into the door panel. Now comes the tricky part of sliding back on the door panel. Shouldnt be too hard though once you figure out where to mount the actuator

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic