icon

high spl 15 for good price

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
93dsm 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2007 at 11:38 AM / IP Logged  
Hi, I currently am running two Soundstream 15" with an SPL 1440 amp in a custom sealed box with no divider. I currently hit 140db (verified at Kumho StreetWarriorz sound competition.) I'm trying to up that to around 150-155ish w/o draining my wallet. Since you guys are really the only people who know what the hell their talking about, I was curious on how the Power Acoustik Fubr-15's are? Or if you know of any other speakers that would be good, but aren't like 300 dollars a piece.   
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 15, 2007 at 12:59 PM / IP Logged  
well you aren't gonna win any sound comps with a sealed box...you can use WinISD to model different enclosures and see what their response curves are.
What model 15's do you have??
93dsm 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2007 at 1:34 PM / IP Logged  
They're the tarantula series..only not thwe new ones, they are rated at 450rms.
The reason I went with a sealed box instead of a ported box, is because I wanted as good as a response as I could get with 15's.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 15, 2007 at 2:22 PM / IP Logged  
Well you really need a nice ported box if you want higher numbers
93dsm 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2007 at 2:30 PM / IP Logged  
yeah...maybe later...but I'm more curious on the subs than box for now, I just want peoples opinion on the Power Acoustik Fubr-15's if anyone has heard them or had them before, or if they have other recommendations. Also, what about the powerbass xtreme 3xL series (http://www.powerbassusa.com/products/subwoofers/3xl_subwoofers.html)
I have their 2xl coaxial speakers, and they are pretty good speakers, especially for the price.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2007 at 2:38 PM / IP Logged  
What Kuhmo show did you go to? very good possibility I was the judge for the show.
Like the other have said your best bet is to build a ported box.
Right now you cat beat the 12" kicker L7's hands down...the 15s arnt as great for SPL use
If you upgraded your amp and put your aubs in a ported box you could possibly get to the high 140's
the 150s are a very high score espicially for a stock class.
But 2 12L7s with about 2500WRMS will do a 150 in about any vehicle with the correctly built ported enclosure
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
93dsm 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2007 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  
It was the one at Milan Dragway in Michigan. I have a 93 plymouth laser (same as the eclipse) with a custom made box that takes up the whole hatch. Being the first box I made, sealed seemed the way to go, plus as I mentioned earlier, I wanted good response on 15's. Another benefit of the sealed box was the space issue, Id be closer to the recommended enclosure size with a sealed box as apposed to the ported one.
93dsm 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2007 at 2:54 PM / IP Logged  
I've also heard some stuff about audiopipe.. I've never heard them, but I've seen them up hand, and they look like their good quality. http://www.audiopipe.com/AudioPipeCatalogOne.asp?Picture=AP-26.jpg
Someone told me that they just set some Db record, but I'm not sure if he was just blowing that out his ass.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2007 at 3:09 PM / IP Logged  
blowing alot of Smoke out of his @ss
The major companys are the way to go
Kicker
Digital Designs
Rockford
Db Drive (They are really starting to shine in competitions)
American Bass (High end only)
In both USACi and Db Drag Kicker has the largest # of placing competitiors at both of thier world finals
I know usaci kicker had over 30 competitors place in the top 3 of thier class
I would work with what you have currently.   Untill you find the peak of that setup its not worth upgrading, except the amp...you could use alot more power
I would recommend a box that is roughly 3-3.25 cu ft ported and tuned to 45hz
I know those cars are capable of over a 150...but the loudest I have seen them go is about a 153...That was using 2 12" Kicker L7s and an Incriminator Audio 20.1 for the amp
I know I will be doing the milan event this year, I want there last year as I was out at another show
The show will be june the 9th this year. If you remember at that time ask me for some tips then, on whatever you have at the time
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
93dsm 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2007 at 3:37 PM / IP Logged  
sweet thanks a a lot.. I'll look for you
I have a part sponsor with a local company that I can get the kicker cvr15's for $85, but I was told they suck, and the cvr12's are the only good cvr's. He told me to go with the cvx15's. Would you recommend that, or just a more powerful amp?
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic