icon

Long Crank Time '98 Camry with RS860

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Themajesticking 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2007 at 7:18 AM / IP Logged  
I just installed an Autopage RS-860LCD in a '98 Toyota Camry 4cyl and there is a problem with the crank time. The unit starts the car successfully but cranks for about 3-4secs instead of 0.8secs. I have tried changing the crank time but when I press the "unlock button" to change the setting, the unit does not respond and the LED just flickers slightly. That's just one part of the problem.
If I start the car with the key, turn off the engine, then try to start the car remotely, it will start the car for 0.8secs. So in other words, the car has to be started with the key first and then with the remote in order to start correctly. Eventually if this unit continues to try and start the car for 3 or more seconds, it's going to kill the starter. Thanks in advance.
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 16, 2007 at 7:40 AM / IP Logged  
Hook up the tach wire and program to the unit. It is the most reliable method. DEI lists:
TOYOTA, CAMRY, 1998, Tachometer
On the 4 cylinder motor use the black wire in the gray plug at the coil on the drivers side of the motor. On the 6 cylinder motor use the gray wire located at the ignitor on a bracket just in front of the strut tower. The module says Denso on it.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 16, 2007 at 7:45 AM / IP Logged  

Just for kicks...did you hook up the key sence wire?

12 VOLTS White Ignition harness   + 
 IGNITION BLACK/ red Ignition harness   + 
 IGNITION 2 BLACK / YELLOW Ignition harness   + 
 ACCESSORY Blue/red Ignition harness   + 
 STARTER Red Ignition harness   + 
 KEY SENSE RED / blue Ignition harness   - 
 TACH SIGNAL Yellow/red driver's side of motor   AC 
 On the 6 cylinder model, there are 2 coils on the engine. Go to the one on the driver's side and find the YELLOW/RED. Set your remote starter for 2 cylinders. You can also find a BLACK/ ORANGE at the ECM located behind the glove compartment, which will give you a 6 cylinder or 4 cylinder signal depending on the engine. You may also use an injector wire on any of the engines, and get a 1 cylinder signal.

Themajesticking 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2007 at 8:07 AM / IP Logged  
I used the BLACK/ orange wire on the ECM for Tach signal.
Themajesticking 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2007 at 8:08 AM / IP Logged  
I did not use a key sense wire. I Never read that.
imseth85 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2007 at 8:56 PM / IP Logged  
twelvoltz is right....the tach is the best way to do this. However....if the unit it set to 0.8 and it is cranking for 4 seconds, then it's definitely not programmed right. I hate those units because they give me so much trouble during programming. Make sure the horn is hooked up because it makes programming the unit a lot easier, and double check the wires going to the ignition/accessory because they are essential for programming.
Seth Alvo     NY
Mobile Electronics Installer
imseth85 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2007 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  
Oh!!! and one more thing.....there is a setting (if you can successfully change it) when you're in the crank time programming, I think you press the "trunk" button on the remote and it changes the voltage at which the unit stops cranking. That usually solves the problem.
Seth Alvo     NY
Mobile Electronics Installer
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 17, 2007 at 7:28 AM / IP Logged  
I haven't installed an Autopage, but generally, when you're in tach-sensing mode, the crank-time adjustment is irrelevant.
The unit simply cranks the starter until it "sees" tach, and then stops cranking.
Crank time adjustment is only for when you're using voltage sense.
You could try re-programming tach rate again, or try re-programming tach while revving the engine a little bit, or switch to a different tach source.
The BLACK/ orange under the glove box works perfectly for the Audiovox units I install, but maybe the Autopage doesn't like it for some reason.
If you do choose to use voltage sense, 1.0 seconds is a good setting for Toyotas, in my experience.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic