icon

Door Lock Actuators

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
01trublugt 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2007 at 9:42 AM / IP Logged  

Ok well I have searched and seems there are just too many types to figure this out alone. Two wire, 5 wire, + pulse and so on.

Here is what I am trying to figure out. I have a 97 F-150 that does not have power locks. Its not a problem as I only use the truck when I need it, so most of the time it sits in my driveway as it is not my daily driver. Lately I have been having problems getting the door unlocked with the key to the point where on more than one occasion I had to open the passenger door and reach across to unlock the drivers side from inside.

The truck currently has a Viper alarm on it, one of the older ones with the black 2 button remote. I don't need inside switches or anything all I want is to add an actuator to the drivers door to lock/unlock with the alarm. I don't need auto lock or anything like that just a simple setup to keep me from having to fight with the key.

Any help would be appreciated. My local shop wanted like $90.00 to do it for me but there isn't enough vasaline in the world for me to pay $90.00 to have a $5.00 part put into my truck considering it could be done in less than 20 min in my garage.

01trublugt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2007 at 10:20 AM / IP Logged  
I just looked and the alarm is a Viper 600HF if that makes any difference.
captainzab 
Silver - Posts: 606
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2007 at 10:48 AM / IP Logged  
okay, your system (Viper 600HF) has onboard relay (same thing as 451m). So you do not need to get any relay, just actuators and wires.
Wire up your doorlock like :
Purple 12V
White and brown Ground
Blue and Green These goto the wires that come off of the actuators. It depends on which way you mounted the actuators as to which wire is lock and unlock. So yes you join the wires from both actuators to the relay module.
Hook up your actuators in the doors, and run the wires under the dash next to your alarm. Done. Thats about it.
If you go to an f-150 forum, they got tutorials on how to hook up the actuators.
$90 is good if he plans on doing everything i just said.
Note: You Always Dont Get What You Pay For.
01trublugt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2007 at 11:11 AM / IP Logged  

captainzab wrote:
okay, your system (Viper 600HF) has onboard relay (same thing as 451m). So you do not need to get any relay, just actuators and wires.
Wire up your doorlock like :
Purple 12V
White and brown Ground
Blue and Green These goto the wires that come off of the actuators. It depends on which way you mounted the actuators as to which wire is lock and unlock. So yes you join the wires from both actuators to the relay module.
Hook up your actuators in the doors, and run the wires under the dash next to your alarm. Done. Thats about it.
If you go to an f-150 forum, they got tutorials on how to hook up the actuators.
$90 is good if he plans on doing everything i just said.

Well I thought the $90 was good to until they told me $90.00 per door.

So the wiring details you gave, just to clarify I would need a 5 wire actuator and the wiring would be as follows:

Purple from actuator to constant 12v                                                                           

White & Brown to ground

Blue & Green from Harness 2 of the alarm brain to the two remaining wires of the actuators and depending on how I mount the actuators will depend on which wire goes to what, that will just be trial and error to get it right.

captainzab 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2007 at 11:20 AM / IP Logged  
no, if you take a look at your alarm, you have a harness dedicated to doorlock relays. You wire those as i said above.
You will be using basic 2 wire actuators.
the 2 wires from the actuator will go to blue and green of the doorlock relay of the viper alarm.
Link to a DIY f-150
All you had to do was search yahoo.
01trublugt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2007 at 11:24 AM / IP Logged  

***EDIT***

Well I thought the $90 was good to until they told me $90.00 per door.

So the wiring details you gave, just to clarify I would need a 5 wire actuator and the wiring would be as follows:

Purple from Harness 2 on Alarm Brain to Constant 12V(according to Vipers install instructions this should be the violet and the violet/Black fused to a 12v source)

WHITE/ Black  & BROWN / Black from H2  to ground

Blue & Green from Harness 2 of the alarm brain to the two remaining wires of the actuators and depending on how I mount the actuators will depend on which wire goes to what, that will just be trial and error to get it right.

[/QUOTE]
01trublugt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2007 at 11:25 AM / IP Logged  
Got it figured out, thanks alot I apreciate the help.
captainzab 
Posted: January 17, 2007 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged  
delete the sentence saying "So the wiring details you gave, just to clarify I would need a 5 wire actuator and the wiring would be as follows:"
Everything else is correct.
Do a yahoo search if you need help taking out the doorpanel.
01trublugt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2007 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks again. Door panels are no sweat, I already went through thoes putting speakers in the doors. Now I just have to wait for the actuators to get here. I think I am going to run the wires tonight and just tape the leads off in the doors.
01trublugt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2007 at 2:14 PM / IP Logged  

Well I got the actuators in and now I am finally going to get around to putting them in this evening.

One question, on the wiring where I have to run the violet and violet/black wires to a fused 12v supply.

The power wire for my stero system runs right next to(within 1') of the alarm brain. Would it be a bad idea to strip some of the rubber off of that wire, solder in a fused wire to the brain then just wrap it up nice and tight with electrical tape to get the 12v I need? I really don't feel like having another wire running from the battery to the car seeing as the battery is on the front passenger side and the wires go through the firewall on the drivers side.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic