icon

kicker or alpine?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
somboy24 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2007 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  

I just bought a 1999 saturn sl2 and i am upgrading the speakers. i had a alpine component system in front and i liked their sound alot. i am now looking for a new set of comonents for the front. I have been looking at the kicker KS6.2's and the alpine SPR17ls. looking for some info/reviwes on the kickers. Also are component's the way to go or could i pick up a cheaper set of full range speakers that sound just as good? I have a tight budget being i'm 16 and just took up a loan on my car after the last one was totaled by a deer.

Also i would like some somewhat matching speakers for the rear deck, i'm guessing full ranges. i' m big on good SQ. for the rear im looking at alpine's SPR-17LP's  or the kicker KS60's. would a component system sound alot better in back?

i'm going to run these off the cd deck amp for a while but would later like to get a 4 channel amp to power them. so i would like power handeling of the speakers to be around 75 watts. Also i have subs to handel the lows so i'm not looking for alot of bass out of the door speakers.

Any suggestions on these speakers? or any other good speakers in their price range?

help?

advanced_audio 
Copper - Posts: 170
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2007 at 12:32 AM / IP Logged  
Well between those two choices I would go Alpine although I dont really care for either one of those because of the harsh sound in alpines and kicker is not really considered high sound quality, but if u liked the alpines before thats what you should go with. You also might want to look into focal. I wouldnt put your components in the rear unless thats where you usaully sit.
gavin9797 
Copper - Posts: 106
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2007 at 2:15 AM / IP Logged  

Typically I find alot of people that are loyal to a particular brand, be it they've used them before, or that is what was recommended to them. So nice to see you are "branching out".

I would suggest though to take the time and go to your local audio shop (s) and listen to as many as you can, and hear what fits your ear the best. Try and know your price range before you go and listen to speakers in that range, unless you would consider spending more. ( this helps in the process of elimination)

IMO...

jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2007 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  
I really like the alpine highs, but without amp power to them the Type R speakers will sound horrible, they need power to get them going.
The Type S speakers sound quite good off deck power alone and when amped they even sound better!
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
imseth85 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2007 at 11:30 PM / IP Logged  
yeah type-s is a really good choice.....I feel like type r's are excessive and really don't give you any better quality (just power handling). Kicker is just for people who want to play thier music ridiculously loud.
Seth Alvo     NY
Mobile Electronics Installer
a471789 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2007 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  
i would be careful putting type-S alpine speakers in an SL2.  Sure, you can do it but if you do, I would definately not suggest amping them.  The type-S are amazing amped, but it's a problem with the car rather than the speakers.  Type-S, at a high wattage level will rattle the door panels even with dynamat.  You could try to secure the doorpanels abit more or do some custom work to make a complete enclosure inside the door panels if you really want to amp them.  You might hear people talking about how well the tpe-S are at the low frequencies, but what i have found is that their forte is with the mid-range.  I would hold pff on the amp.  You have to remember, the SL2 is a small car and you don't want it banging at the level an Escalade would be.......but that would be awesome.....
Brent
MECP Advanced Installer
"I don't claim to know it all, just more than you."

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic