icon

GM battery long side post

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cim2phat4u 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2007 at 5:35 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 1999 Buick Century Custom and I want to switch the positive battery side post terminal bolt to a long one. However, I don't know how to get the old (short) one out. The bolt that screws into the battery is encapsulated in a big red rubber covering which covers the bolt and the top portion of the wiring. The bolt is sandwiched inside the covering so that it just turns in place without coming out (of the rubber piece, I can unscrew it from the battery of course). I don't know if I can take the whole rubber thing off since it seems like its somehow molded onto the wiring or something. How do I get this bolt out and put in my long one? I hope I'm describing this clearly. Thanks in advance.
90s civ and sub 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2007 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  

I just did this with my 92 Suburban.

The top of the rubber boot has a molded-in lip that retains the battery bolt. 

Unless you can stretch the boot far enough to pry it out by hand, take a small flathead screwdriver & "fish around" the boot (working from the wrench-side of the battery bolt), to find the edge between the boot & the battery bolt.

Pry a portion of the battery bolt, past the boot lip, then push the bolt from the bottom (battery side), through the top (wrench-side) of the boot, while working the lip around the edge of the battery bolt. It should pop right out.

NOTE: I see that you're going with the long post.  I don't recommend it.  The stock shaft on the battery bolt is apx. 3/4" long.  I bought the long post, only to later swap it for the short post, because the "long post is for vehicles w/dual battery setups.  Like on diesels.  So unless you have 2 of those factory, rubberized battery terminals connected to the positive side of your battery? Don't waste your money.  Go with the short one.

90 Civic DX Hatchback- 135 amp alternator
92 Suburban - 200 amp alternator
Stereo rebirth, coming soon. . . .
jkwylde 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2007 at 10:41 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah,an extra washer is kinda gheto looking on there, but if its not a show car......
bangin old school since it was new
90s civ and sub 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2007 at 11:48 PM / IP Logged  

Show car or not,

You'll need more than an extra washer to fill the (apx 1/2") gap between the bottom base of the stud & the battery.

90 Civic DX Hatchback- 135 amp alternator
92 Suburban - 200 amp alternator
Stereo rebirth, coming soon. . . .
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2007 at 8:38 AM / IP Logged  
OR, replace the battery with a dual output Optima, (I recommend a red-top) use the OEM harness on the side post, just the way it is right now, and run your SYSTEM from the top posts... You were gonna replace your battery ANYHOW, right?
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic