icon

adding fog and back up lights to my van

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cadjak 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2007 at 1:23 PM / IP Logged  
I want to add fog lights and aux back up lights to my 1994, Ford E150, Chateau Club Wagon. I already have a headlight wiring upgrade harness connected to the battery. When I start adding more auxillary lights, the battery terminals will get pretty crowded. Is there some way of avoiding that? Also, I can hook the backup lighting to my trailer hitch wiring plug. What would I do to keep from over loading the wiring to the plug.
I camp a lot in this van and can sometimes be running the interior lights, a laptop computer and the van's stereo at the same time. (You can tell that I like roughing it). I am thinking of adding an optima yellow top as my primary starting battery and use my present starting battery as a backup with a battery isolator/combiner. That way if I run down the yellow top, I can always crank with the backup battery and if I needed extra cold weather cranking power I could combine the two. I appreciate any comments about that idea. Also, does anyone here know where to mount a second battery in the 94 Ford Club Wagon (gasoline engine)? I am completely stupid about electrics and will have a mechanic friend helping me out. I just wanted to get ideas here. Thanks for the help.
a471789 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2007 at 11:16 PM / IP Logged  
the best thing you could do would be to just buy some power wire and have that e the only wire that touches the batter terminal(besides the standard cable).   If you must, you might even be able to find a small fused distribution block to keep the wiring from overloading....or another alternative is to run the wiring from the fusebox.  There, it could already be a fused power connection.  Disregard what i just said if your wiring has an inline fuse.  I'm not certain about where to place an extra battery.  I've seen some people create custom insulated housings for the battery though.  You really should invest in getting a higher output battery in addition to installing a second battery.  If you're worried about overloading the trailer hitch plug, I would suggest either looking for a kit with higher gauge wire or might be able to just directly wire the plug while looking at the current connection with a larger gauge.
Brent
MECP Advanced Installer
"I don't claim to know it all, just more than you."

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic