icon

Amp for 15 type r's?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 28, 2007 at 1:42 AM / IP Logged  
"It is best to keep your mouth shut and be presumed ignorant than to open it and remove all doubt."
-Mark Twain-
yes...I was guessing that you work at Best Buy...Cloak damnit it took someone long enough!!! lol
bwmpwner sorry but I was getting tired of arguing with you about your bad suggestions...peak numbers don't mean squat. I've been to a few Best Buys and the sales people there really don't know crap about what they are talking about...all they do is read the labels, I can do that. I asked a sales guy that I needed an amp that put out 400 watts at a 4 ohm load...he told me a Rockford P2002 would do perfectly...thats 200 watts at 4 ohms.
But do like your sig says...know what you are saying before posting
bmwpwner 
Copper - Posts: 174
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2007 at 11:23 AM / IP Logged  
wow, i didn't realize that we were gonna start attacking each other for experience information. yes i do work for best buy and i am very experienced but i'm always willing to learn from others. anyway, apparently the work that i have done with kenwood amps over the last 6 or 7 years has all been wrong. sorry about all the bad info i have posted then. and btw, i'm not a salesperson i'm an installer. sorry and good luck getting boned in the stores then.
"I cannot teach anybody anything, I can only make them think."
-Socrates-
cloak559 
Copper - Posts: 215
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2007 at 2:03 PM / IP Logged  
We're not attacking you, we are simply bringing to your attention that most of what you are stating are false facts...And to be totally honest, im worried. You've been installing for 6-7 years and you still cant get the ohm loads right?...
'89 Mercedes-Benz 300E
Pioneer DEH-5900UB
(2)RE Audio SX 10"s
(1)US Amps MD3D
3ft^3 @ 37Hz
Blowing up in a car accident doesnt worry me, as long as I'm putting out some major dB's when I die...
aznboi3644 
Posted: January 28, 2007 at 4:38 PM / IP Logged  
bwm...we weren't attacking.
The orignal poster of this thread asked for a specific power range...you kept insisting on amps that were no where near that range and kept trying to defend a moot point
kicker guy 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2007 at 4:50 PM / IP Logged  
I would go with a Kicker KX1200.1 its 1200 watts @ 1 ohm.... but the 2 I have are rated higher than that... and my local shop has um on sale for $385 :)
aznboi3644 
Posted: January 28, 2007 at 5:06 PM / IP Logged  
bmwpwner wrote:
yea, if the subs are 4 ohm duals each then the 9102d is perfect for it. run each woofer in 4 ohm and mono them into the single channel on the mono amp. that will give a 2 ohm load at the amp and then tune the gain to the subs. i do agree that the max output on that amp is 1800 watts but it is also rated under the CEA so even though those numbers don't mean anything that amp will run those woofers all day long with no problems. of course it would be better to run one amp per woofer. if that is possible then get KAC-7252 or KAC-7202 (identical except for the remote bass knob) which are both 2 channel bridgeable amps. good luck and hope this helps.
If you have been installing for 6-7 years you should know that the 9102D/9152D amps are NOWHERE NEAR THE SAME as the 7202/7252 amps.
bmwpwner 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2007 at 8:32 PM / IP Logged  

actually i've been installing for over 10 years now and dealing with kenwood amps for 6-7 years. cloak you stated that there isn't a way to get those woofers into a 2 ohm load. why can't you run each woofer with one coil (which is a 4 ohm load) and then mono those into the amp. if you are using a mono amp that will not half the load. i'm not gonna argue with you guys on this but i can tell you that a 9102d will run both of those woofers with no problem. i'm probably alot older than you guys and i try to discuss on these forums rather than just being a dick.

btw, i didn't say that the 7202 and 9102d are the same amp but rather the 7252 and the 7202 are the same except the bass knob. i understand sometimes things are read wrong. i was saying that if you wanted to run 2 amps run a pair of 2 7202 amps (one on each sub with one coil from each woofer). i was merely suggesting an amplifier that i have had extensive experience and success with for the application.

another good quote is "Winning an arguement on the internet is like coming in 1st in the special olympics." and that is not buy Mr. Twain.

-Socrates-
cloak559 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2007 at 2:48 AM / IP Logged  
OMG will someone please get rid of this guy!!!....Did you honestly just state that you have been installing for 10 years, and then directly following that, state that he should run one coil on a DVC Sub!!...Running only one coil cuts the power handling in half, which also cuts the woofers perfomance and output ability in half...
Kid, you dont know what you are talking about. This forum is full of HIGHLY educated car audio enthusiast and 12 Volt experts. listen to them and take in thier knowledge. I, for one, am calling bull**** on your skills man. If you have been installing for 10 years you should know quite a bit more than you do...
Please god someone lock this thread...
'89 Mercedes-Benz 300E
Pioneer DEH-5900UB
(2)RE Audio SX 10"s
(1)US Amps MD3D
3ft^3 @ 37Hz
Blowing up in a car accident doesnt worry me, as long as I'm putting out some major dB's when I die...
bmwpwner 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2007 at 10:11 AM / IP Logged  
so cloak i haven't seen you say what shop you work for. i'm sure you are an installer with years of experience and tons of vehicles that you installed into right!?! anyway, there is a huge post on running one voice coil that is on the main page on this forum discussing it. you are right there are alot of intelligent and experienced installers on here and many of them posted on that topic. this is my last post to this topic because i deal with enough ignorant customers everyday and i don't need anyone like you that won't discuss rather than attack. again i would love to know what shop you work for because you sound like you are (ironically since you hate sales people that just read the box) a box reader. good luck and hope this helps you.
-Socrates-
cloak559 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2007 at 12:33 PM / IP Logged  
cloak559 wrote:
Did you honestly just state that you have been installing for 10 years, and then directly following that, state that he should run one coil on a DVC Sub!!...Running only one coil cuts the power handling in half, which also cuts the woofers perfomance and output ability in half...
If you in fact read that Sticky on running one voice coil, you would know that what I just said was 100% correct...
Moreover, once again we are not attacking you, we are putting you in your place. This is one of the top forums around for get the correct advise or the perfect answer to your questions. And you were giving bad advise and stating false facts, which is why we had to jump in and let you know that you are not correct...
As for the shop I work at, you can ask anyone on here about the reputation of Superior Sound....
'89 Mercedes-Benz 300E
Pioneer DEH-5900UB
(2)RE Audio SX 10"s
(1)US Amps MD3D
3ft^3 @ 37Hz
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic