556L, Boa 265B, 1996 Cavalier Issue

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ctsights 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2007 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  

Hey guys...

I am installing the BOA 265B with the 556L bypass module on my 1996 Cavalier.  I am sure that the connections I have made are solid and secure.  My issue is with the 556L bypass module:

When I plug the wire harnesses into the module, the LED flashes once.  I turn the ignition on/off qucikly 2 times, then start the car and leave it running.  The LED doesn't flash at all since the first time when I plug the wire in.  The LED stays off until I put the car in gear and then the LED stays lit the whole time while driving.

BLACK/ Green wire:   I didn't use.

BLACK/ White wire:  I connected to the 20 guage black wire in the black ignition harness on the left of the steering column.

Black wire:  I connected this to one of the 3 wires coming out of the ignition cylinder and under the right side of steering column.  The wires were black, black, and white.  I used the black wire that completed a circuit with constant positive.

Pink wire:  I connected to the Pink wire in the white ignition harness on the left side of the steering column

Blue wire:  I connected to the BLUE wire coming from the main harness of my BOA 265B.

Violet wire:  I connected to the Yellow starter wire where I had also hooked up the Purple wire from my BOA 265B.

Red wire:  I connected to one of the 2 RED constant + wires coming out of the black ignition harness on the left side of the steering column.

White wire:  I did not use

Yellow wire:  I cut the other black wire (that didn't complete circuit to positive) in the group of 3 coming out of ignition cylinder.  I connected the yellow wire to the end coming from ignition cylinder.

WHITE/ Yellow wire:  I did not use this wire

BLACK / YELLOW wire:  I connected this wire to the other part of the black wire which was cut for the Yellow wire.

Did I do something wrong with my wiring, or the programming?  I tried to different modules and the responded the same.

I also tried to program my remote start system hoping that maybe the 556L did work even though the LED didn't flash but, nothing works from the remote.  One thing the car does do now is lock the doors when the ignition is turned on and unlock the doors when the ignition is turned off.

Please let me know what I can do to get this to program correctly.

Thanks
Chris
ctsights@yahoo.com
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 22, 2007 at 2:57 PM / IP Logged  
Try slowing down the 'cycling' of your ignition. Just turn the ignition on, turn off, turn back on, back off, then start the car, some have taken a couple of tries but the module has always programmed and worked just fine for me.
ctsights 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2007 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged  

twelvoltz

I tried the sequence at different speeds (approx. 10 attempts) from very slow to very fast.  Will keep trying unless someone has any other ideas.  Is my wiring correct as described?

Thanks

Chris

another-kelly 
Silver - Posts: 618
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2007 at 6:35 PM / IP Logged  
did you test the bulb check wire? if i recall, on a '98 cav we did the other day there is two thin black wires to the left of the steering column. one was bulb check the other was something else. also did you remove the shroud around the steering coulmn? if not then do so and make sure you tied into the correct wires. of the 3, the center wire (black) is the passlock ground reference and the outside wire (also black) is the resistance wire
another-kelly 
Silver - Posts: 618
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2007 at 6:39 PM / IP Logged  
ctsights wrote:
Violet wire: I connected to the Yellow starter wire where I had also hooked up the Purple wire from my BOA 265B.
also this wire is supposed to go the negative trigger starter wire. as in it sees a ground from the BOA during crank only
ctsights 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2007 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  

I'll double check the bulb check wire.  I did notice there were two black wires of the same size in that area.  I think one came from the white harness and the other came from the black harness containing 2 red positives.  I went with the one from the black harness cause I saw a picture somewhere on the net that someone indicated that one was the bulb check.

The violet wire may be a screw up.  Where or what is the negative starter wire...that one baffled me cause its location and color weren't mentioned at all in my install manuals.  (it just said to connect to that but...didn't say where it was)

All the help is much appreciated.  Thank you all.

Chris

imseth85 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2007 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  
On the boa I believe there is no negative starter wire (unless it has a ribbon harness, in which case it would be the purple on the ribbon cable). If not you're going to have to use a relay. If it comes down to the relay, connect the blue wire off the boa to terminal 85, connect 86 to starter (purple), connect 30 to ground, and then 87a is your negative starter output
Seth Alvo     NY
Mobile Electronics Installer

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic