icon

Head Unit, Metra VT-GMRC-01

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
redfire 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2007 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  

i installed my new kenwood head unit into my car and i used the metra 72-2003 wiring harness, it was the cheaper of the two harnesses avalible. i wired it all up and found that my deck will not turn on with the car, so i ripped it all out and found that the ignition wire from the cars harness doesnt match up with the ignition wire in metra harnesses plug so wht i have to do is turn te deck on by pressing the power button and if i forget to turn it off then well you know what would happen. I also lost all my factory chimes from the doors lights and key in ignition. I i got the  Metra VT-GMRC-01 harness would it fix these problems. i have done alot of reading and found that all my chimes will come back with this harness but will it turn on and off with the car too?

duct tape 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2007 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged  
the adapter has a speaker built right into it, it will also give you the switched 12 volt lead that you need to wire up the radio. 
bmwpwner 
Copper - Posts: 174
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2007 at 12:18 AM / IP Logged  
welcome to the wonderful world of general murders... o i mean general motors or THE CUTTING EDGE OF CONFUSION if you ask me. this vehicle has what they call a R.A.P. system or Retained Accessory Power which translates into a $120 harness rather than $15. the newer gm's do not have an actual ignition behind the radio and gm thought it would be cute to run the door dinger, gas sending sensor, and an airbag sensor thru the radio. so if for some crazy reason you are 100% satisified with the factory tape player and radio from gm then you have to get a harness that retains all those circuits for an aftermarket install. you can use either the VTGMRC01 (Metra good piece), DCGM09 (Scosche good piece for non-OnStar units) or equivalent. anyway, good luck and hope this helps.
"I cannot teach anybody anything, I can only make them think."
-Socrates-
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 25, 2007 at 8:35 AM / IP Logged  
The RAP feature just means the radio will stay powered on after the ignition is turned off until the door is opened, or a predetermined amount of time passes. This, however is not the root of the problem. The issue is that the factory radio is powered up via a data signal rather than an accessory wire. The expensive interface harness will allow you to keep your factory chimes, and will provide you with the needed accessory output. This has nothing to do with the fuel gauge or airbags, though, as they will function properly when the radio is removed altogether.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
redfire 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2007 at 2:14 PM / IP Logged  

thanks for all the help and just to clarify if i spend the 120 or whatever on the harness my headunit will turn on with the car and it will turn off when i open my door or after a certain amount of time? and i will also get all the chimes back?

duct tape 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2007 at 3:28 PM / IP Logged  

the new radio will turn on and off just like the factory radio.    the adapter has its own speaker for the door chime, it wont sound like the factory one, and its actually a bit louder and more annoying in my opinion. 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic