icon

Car won't RS when very cold sometimes

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tbone587 
Copper - Posts: 167
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2007 at 10:52 AM / IP Logged  
U could also try relearning the tach signal on a very cold morning to see if that helps..  That has worked for me a few times, but most likely it would be a good idea for u to get a new battery
profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2007 at 10:59 AM / IP Logged  
When any starter click, either the connection, battery, or the starter itself is bad like Jeff said. relearning tach wont do anything good.
Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
cpgoose 
Gold - Posts: 1,098
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2007 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  
Small update:
I just went to go out during lunchtime, and the remote start did the same thing...it didn't start. There goes my theory about it only happening very early in the morning. But then again, it's like 20 outside, so I still think it's cold-related.
Just to rule out the crank issue (which I'm sure it's not) I increased the crank time right then and there while I knew the car wasn't remotely starting. It didn't help so I set it back.
What I don't understand is if the battery in the car is bad, why does it start fine with the key (it just requires me to hold the key in the crank position a little longer)?
Hymer 
Silver - Posts: 695
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2007 at 12:58 PM / IP Logged  
Because the rs unit needs X voltage to operate correctly. If it doesn't see that it wont work.. Safegaurds I suppose.. check your battery first! Then go to the starter wire connections and check them out look for a high resistance from key in side to key out side of the rs starter wires. If that doesnt help ya then just reconnect the starter wire and dont run the starter wire through the rs unit at all.. see if it will start with just the output side of the rs unit...
Tire Proz Stillwater Mn
High End Restyling and Comlete Repair
profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2007 at 1:13 PM / IP Logged  
can you specify again the symptom, where the starter click or it required a longer length of crank time?
the starter click can be the problem i described above.
do you have tach-sense or volt-sense?
tach-sense - crank time is dependent on the tach signal grabbed
volt-sense - crank time is dependent on the time(0.6 0.8 1.0 ..) set by the unit
Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
cpgoose 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2007 at 2:55 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, as requested...
1. I hit the remote start button
2. The lights on the dash light up, my seatbelt goes up (b/c I have auto-belts), and you can hear the fuel pump whirling
3. I hear a "click", but I'm not sure if it's the starter clicking, or if it's the RS's relay pack
4. I turn off the remote starter so it doesn't keep trying
5. I put in the key and turn
6. Now, this part is tricky to describe. When I turn the key, the car isn't "cranking" for a longer period of time, but rather it's the time the car takes to start cranking is like .5 seconds longer. In other words, when you normally turn the key to the crank position, you immediately hear it start cranking. When this situation is occuring and I turn the key, it takes another .5 seconds than normal, then cranks normal and starts.
Hopefully that made sense.
I have the RS hooked up to the car's tach wire. I have it hooked up for tach-sense (I hope!). I wonder if for some dumb reason it's set for volt-sense.
Hymer 
Silver - Posts: 695
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2007 at 3:21 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like it could be a starter or solenoid if it has one. Something is not telling that starter to engage right away... POssibly a dead spot on the starter.
Tire Proz Stillwater Mn
High End Restyling and Comlete Repair
cpgoose 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2007 at 1:24 PM / IP Logged  
Ok guys...here's a little more information.
This morning the car didn't start, so I put a meter on the battery. Just FYI, it was at 9am and it's like 32 degrees out, and the car had been sitting overnight for about 15 hours.
Battery voltage = 11.85
I started the car with the key, and then rechecked the battery and it showed 14.70 volts (while the car was running).
I drove to the store and then came back and shut off the car and measured again, and it showed 12.70 volts.
brcidd 
Copper - Posts: 274
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2007 at 1:51 PM / IP Logged  
Morning battery voltage on a good battery is about 12.65 volts- I think yours is heading south........
Brcidd - Engineer That Does Remote Starter Installs on the side.
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 02, 2007 at 1:54 PM / IP Logged  
It's the vehicle battery. As already mentioned, the RS monitors it, if it drops below the preset threshold it will not allow it to RS. Load test the battery to make sure. Most auto parts stores will toss a load tester on it for free if you do not have access to one.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic