icon

12 in sub comparison

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shinchan45 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2007 at 2:20 AM / IP Logged  
If I go from a 12in sub that handles 750w RMS to 2 12in subs that handle 400w RMS each, what do I gain/lose from this change? I cant seem to find a answer to this.
Thanks for any help
Anyone can create SP it takes real skill to create SQ
DEH-P880PRS, CDT CL-51, CDT CL-69X, US Amps 300X, NAK PA-504, Treo SSI12.22
cloak559 
Copper - Posts: 215
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2007 at 3:05 AM / IP Logged  
Well there are a few variables in this question. What amp are you running? What Type of box? And what model subs are they?
A general answer would be that you are losing power handling, which usually means a lower quality sub with a smaller voice coil. But, you are doubling the cone area, so you have the ability to move more air...It could go both ways....If you give us a bit more info we can give you a better estimate of gain/loss...
'89 Mercedes-Benz 300E
Pioneer DEH-5900UB
(2)RE Audio SX 10"s
(1)US Amps MD3D
3ft^3 @ 37Hz
Blowing up in a car accident doesnt worry me, as long as I'm putting out some major dB's when I die...
shinchan45 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2007 at 3:37 AM / IP Logged  
Well....I have a Treo SSI currently in a ported box (built to treo's specs). I am not satisfied with the sound. I am thinking of getting a sealed dual 12 set up with 2 jl 12w6v2's with 1.25 cubes in each chamber. Or should I just try to get sealed box for the treo? I am looking for more SQ than SP. Although I do like the boom every once in awhile. BTW I have always had sealed boxes but decided to try a ported box on the recommendation of my install guy.
Thanks
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2007 at 8:36 AM / IP Logged  
Your output will likely be pretty close to the same, BUT I too, prefer the sealed enclosure. The JL will likely move just as much air as the Treo, but in the sealed enclosure, you will probably have better (FAR better) deep extension.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
shinchan45 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2007 at 1:28 PM / IP Logged  
haemphyst wrote:
Your output will likely be pretty close to the same, BUT I too, prefer the sealed enclosure. The JL will likely move just as much air as the Treo, but in the sealed enclosure, you will probably have better (FAR better) deep extension.
Thanks for the help... So I could just save money and get a single sealed box for the treo and it will sound like the 2 jls?
Thanks
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2007 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  
No, if you move from a vented box, to a sealed box, you will LOSE 3dB, the same as adding an ADDITIONAL 12" in a seald box will GAIN you. That is why I said your output would likely be the same.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
shinchan45 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2007 at 5:04 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
No, if you move from a vented box, to a sealed box, you will LOSE 3dB, the same as adding an ADDITIONAL 12" in a seald box will GAIN you. That is why I said your output would likely be the same.

How much is 3db?....Is it something that would make a real audible difference. I know that doubling your power only yields a 3DB gain. So is it just more economical to keep my sub and get a sealed box, or go with throw it out the window and get a dual sealed set up? If 3db doesn’t make that much of a difference, then I think I should just stick with my treo and not spend more money on 2 jl's and a new box.

Thanks for all of your insight

aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 27, 2007 at 2:26 AM / IP Logged  
He said your output would most likely be the same...but your sound quality will be better...which is what you said you wanted, sound quality

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic