icon

new radio, cd head unit into mk4 vauxhall

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
griffo 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2007 at 1:30 PM / IP Logged  

I am struggling to understand the wiring requirements to put a new head unit into my son's Astra. The wiring harness connectors for the new unit seem the same as for the outgoing unit, however the new unit doesn't work when these are connected.

The wiring diagram for the unit (Alpine CDA-9854R) seems to suggest that it also needs a wire to the + on the battrey plus one to "an open terminal on the vehicle's fuse box or another unused power source which provides (+) 12v only when the ignition is turned on or in the accessory position".

Firstly, I am surprised that the existing loom connectors don't provide all that's needed  and secondly, if the stuff in " "s is needed, where do I find a suitable connection to use?

I really would be grateful if someone can help please?

Cheers.

geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 27, 2007 at 5:34 PM / IP Logged  
Your best bet is to read this sticky. If you can't identify the proper power wires, check for a blown fuse. I've never run leads directly to the battery for a head unit.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
griffo 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2007 at 11:32 AM / IP Logged  

Geepherder

thanks for the reply. I was being rather thick! I have now sussed the wiring for the head unit and it works. However, apart from the 4 standard speakers, my son has installed 2 additional  6 x 9's in the rear parcel shelf. We have used an old amp and connected a pair of  phono cables, a fused power cable plus the remote switch on lead. Unfortunately, only one new speaker will work (I've tries swapping the leads and established it's not the speakers that are faulty) and there's a lot of engine interference. The other strange thing is that it stops the other 4 'standard' speakers working as well.

If I take the fuse out of the power cable going to the amp, the 4 speakers come back on (with no interference). I have concluded the amp is faulty, so we need to replace that but could that also explain the interference and the 'knocking-out' of the other speakers??

geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 28, 2007 at 6:00 PM / IP Logged  
I think you're right, your amp probably is bad. Typically, I would suggest further trouble shooting to determine the source of the problem. For example, if swapping the rca's at the amp makes the sound go to the other side, you'd know there's a problem with the cables or the deck's output. In your case, however, the interior speakers are cutting out as well. This leads me to believe there's a problem inside the amp that's shorting out the signal, and sending the deck into protect mode (no sound). An easy way to determine if you have a bad amp is to swap in an amp that you know is working. If the problem goes away, then you have your answer.
Engine noise is usually caused by bad grounds I suggest reading both grounding stickies.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
wotugot4me 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2007 at 8:49 AM / IP Logged  
Dont know if they are but check that the power and rca/phono leads are run down different sides of the car
griffo 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2007 at 9:01 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks to both of you. I think it's a safe bet the amp is shot, as the new speakers both work fine on the R/H connectors but nothing from the L/H. It's a very old amp we were given anyway.

The power and the phono's are running down the same side, is that a no no?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic