icon

tach wire 1990 lexus ls400

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
new2mud 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2007 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  
I have installed remote starters in a couple of vehicles, so I do have a basic understanding.
In a 1990 Lexus LS400, do I have to run a wire through the firewall into the engine compartment to get the tach signal, or is there an in-cabin source?
If a wire is needed through the firewall, any suggestions on where to go through in the LS400, since they made these things sound-tight?
This will be a DEI Viper 160xv.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 27, 2007 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged  
TACH SIGNAL Black At test plug on front of engine   AC 
Or @ the igniter behind the pass. headlamp assebly, and air flow meter box.... same color
new2mud 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2007 at 11:11 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the reply--I did see that info on the wiring info sheet, but is there not an in-cabin signal that can be used?
If going through firewall is necessary, is there a recommeded method of running wire through?
csnut18 
Copper - Posts: 196
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2007 at 2:28 AM / IP Logged  
Well when you take the thing apart just look around and if you dont see a factory rubber grommet or wiring location, carefully drill a hole where you are certain there is nothing on the other side
dre187 
Copper - Posts: 129
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2007 at 7:44 AM / IP Logged  
passenger side. theres a nice big rubber grommet there. since you should be running a wire for the hoodpin under the hood anyways, you can just run the tach wire with it. i usually just use a long fish, like an old antenna with a sharpened tip to push through a factory rubber grommet. its easier to move it around things and since it is much smaller, less of a chance of damaging things you can't see on the other side. onces it's through, tape the wires tightly and then just use a little grease or WD40 where you taped them to help make it slide throught like butter. 95% of cars have many grommets to use, although when you do have to dirll or punch a hole, make you you seal it after with something so water doensn't leak inside.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic