icon

karr worth keeping, upgrading?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
skyfrog 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2007 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  
I recently purchased a Honda Civic Hybrid. The dealership gave me one heck of a hard time with the price, which was originally $5000 over MSRP.   This included dealer prep, market adjustment, Karr security system, and pin striping.    Good Grief.
Long story short, (after walking out of the showroom), the dealer said he would meet MSRP and remove the Karr security system. Instead of removing it however, he just disabled it. Then he tried to charge me twice for shipping. (Never again).
My question is whether it is better to leave it disabled, enable it somehow, upgrade it to more advanced Karr system, or replace it with a better system.
I don't know what model it is, the dealer said it used the car's key fob if that’s any help. Where would I look for the brain in a Civic?
Thanks in advance,
John
mikvot 
Gold - Posts: 1,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2007 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  
i work for Karr, and when a customer declines the security, the brain is removed........the only way to get around that would of been to put the system in valet......in this case there would be some kind of led pod under the driver side dash....should be in plain view.
youngblood 
Copper - Posts: 77
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2007 at 9:43 AM / IP Logged  
Look under the dash, and try to find a bunch of wires that appears to be carelessly crammed into your lovely new vehicle. In the middle of this rat's nest, should be a module about twice the size of a cigarette pack.
skyfrog 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2007 at 11:38 AM / IP Logged  
I traced the wires from the small box (led pod?), under the dash and I think I found the brain, tie wrapped high in the dash. Impossible to see without cutting the tie wrap.
Is it of any use? Is there any danger leaving it in valet mode? I say this because the salesman did something like rap on the window before opening the car, which I thought unlocked the doors. It worries me that someone can rap on the window and get into my car.
I don't consider that I got this alarm for free, the dealership got it's profit. They charged me the standard "destination charge" then tacked on a "shipping charge". The salesman explaned that the shipping charge was charged by Honda to deliver the car. And he said the destination charge was what Honda charged to deliver the car. I asked him to explain the difference, and his only comback was that it was printed on the dealership worksheet. So they got their money, and I have a useless (or unsafe) box under my dash.
John

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic