icon

push start ignition, remote enable

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
technoweenie 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2007 at 4:48 AM / IP Logged  
well, it all started when it was too expensive to replace the factory anti-theft system, due to a botched robbery attempt...FORD PATS system was going to cost ~1400$ to replace, and the entire steering column would need replacing as well, as the ignition cylinder housing was broken....
I own a company that sells/installs emergency vehicle lighting, and decided it'd be an interesting project not only for myself, but also to demonstrate how a bait car would work....
(not advertising at all, just giving you a little info on my background)
I started out with an el-cheapo wireless remote from wally-mart, that uses a simple on/off switch remote, then use a 50Amp relay for the seperate lines that needed to be hot in "on", then used another relay for hot in "start", which killed the other relays that weren't supposed be on during start, such as acc. (radio,etc) and others... then wired in a hidden switch to start the vehicle, a simple momentary SPST switch, and a manual keyswitch, also "hidden", should the remote be damaged/lost/stolen/battery go dead......
total cost for this conversion was ~40$, and an hour of time....
HUGE bonus, there are no keys, and no keyed ignition, no ignition means there's nothing for the potential thief to jam in/twist...and ease of use.......no more fumbling with keys, hit two buttons, and you're ready to go, want to kill the car? hit a button....
here's a short video, feet included ;)...
push start ignition, remote enable -- posted image.
may others be inspired .....
as Jon once said about garfield after he nailed a TV to the ceiling so he could watch TV laying on his back... "I've never seen someone work so hard to be so lazy" ........ works for me ;)
technoweenie 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2007 at 4:52 AM / IP Logged  
and uhh... ignore all the ebay stuff, high bidder, etc etc... I took the vid for potential bidders, but I'm showing you guys how it works, I'm too lazy to shoot another vid, as this one does just fine!
ghost_rider 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2007 at 11:58 AM / IP Logged  

Hey technoweenie, I realy like your push start ignition mod................ Just a few day ago I was thinking of doing something similar with a VW sand buggy but what I want to install is a Red Start button like the one in this pic.  http://ravenwingperformance.net/Lighting_Electrical/Ignited_Starter-Button_IGN2001R.JPG

So intead of have a hidden start button like you, I will place it in a nice place.

Just curious, what remote control receiver you bought? Is this remote only have two buttons that only control ON/OFF?

For example if you press button #1 it will turn lights on the dash meaning you have ignition ON.  What happend if you press again button #1 again?

I see that you press button #2 and it turn off the engine.  Do that receiver has the avility to program it in order that you need to keep pressing the button # 2 for around 3 seconds in order to turn off the engine?  I am asking this as a safety thing because if you are driving and you press accidentaly the button #2 it will inmediately shut down the engine :-(

THX,

Ghost Rider

mikvot 
Gold - Posts: 1,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2007 at 12:58 PM / IP Logged  
What happens if you're doing 80 on the interstate, and you hit the off button while the transmitter is in your pocket....UH oH!
ghost_rider 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2007 at 1:17 PM / IP Logged  

mikvot wrote:
What happens if you're doing 80 on the interstate, and you hit the off button while the transmitter is in your pocket....UH oH!

I was thinking about the same thing.............. Thats why I ask him if that receiver has the avility to program it in order that you need to keep pressing the button # 2 for around 3 seconds in order to turn off the engine .

I remeber my first alarm in my car when you hit button # 2 it inmediatelly pop the trunk and many times accidenatly putting the keys in my pocket I hear the trunk pop.  So I will say this can happen exactly the same and shut the engine while he is driving.

We need to keep in mind that this was a experiment he done in his car but maybe that we call his atention he can fix this issue to be more safe.

Ghost Rider

technoweenie 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2007 at 11:56 PM / IP Logged  
ghost_rider wrote:

mikvot wrote:

I was thinking about the same thing.............. Thats why I ask him if that receiver has the avility to program it in order that you need to keep pressing the button # 2 for around 3 seconds in order to turn off the engine .

I remeber my first alarm in my car when you hit button # 2 it inmediatelly pop the trunk and many times accidenatly putting the keys in my pocket I hear the trunk pop.  So I will say this can happen exactly the same and shut the engine while he is driving.

We need to keep in mind that this was a experiment he done in his car but maybe that we call his atention he can fix this issue to be more safe.

Ghost Rider

well, if you hit the button twice, or fifty times, it will ignore all subsequent presses of the button...only the first button press matters...
in terms of cutting off the car on the highway, the spawl that locks the wheel(keeps the wheel from turning without the key in 'run' position) has been removed, so IF you accidently kill the car on the highway, the car cuts off, you still have brakes + steering (albeit without power assist),BUT, I kept the remote on a chain around my neck, with the keys, so they're hard to accidentally hit while you're driving... the buttons on the remote are recessed, and relatively stiff, I've NEVER accidentally pressed any buttons on the remote...even with the remote in my pocket... In addition, the remote reciever is only active while the LCM demand output is active, IOTW, when you open a door/trunk, it 'wakes up' the car, turning on lights, etc... and up until 20 minutes after you leave the vehicle, so, once you leave the vehicle, after 20 minutes, you have to open the door in order to enable the vehicle, which completely eliminates the possibility of interference turning the vehicle on in the 'run' setting, running down the battery....
the remote/reciever was a $4.00 clearance from wal-mart, which is funny, I picked up 10 of them, so I could duplicate the setup....I sourced the supplier, and they'd cost ~11$ a piece from the manufacturer...
it's a simple on/off remote, two button, one on, one off, nothing more than a toggle switch.......but being that it's remote, adds increased security that a normal 'push start' can't offer....
Owner, Covert Vehicle Products, Specializing in Covert Emergency Vehicle Lighting, Communications, and Data Delivery Solutions.
push start ignition, remote enable -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic