icon

amp smoking

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hub_n_hun 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2007 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  

I have a phoenix gold zpa0.5 and had it installed from a local car audio shop. I got to listen to it for about 30 minutes and then all of a sudden it turns off. I figured a fuse was blown so I bought one the next day at a car show I was attending. After changing the fuse which was blown and installing the new one my amp started smoking.

So I need help on figuring out what happened. The amp is getting power since the lights on the amp turn on but there is no power going to the subs. If anyone has any thought of what the problem is and how to fix it and how much it will cost, could you let me know? If you need more info let me know.

Thanks,

Corey

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2007 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  

I assume this was an Ebay purchase?  Probably a defective amp.  If you bought it from the shop who installed it, however, go back and see what they will do for you.

Phoenix Gold will refurb it for $220.  http://www.phoenixgold.com/2004/flatrate.html

Support the12volt.com
coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2007 at 11:46 PM / IP Logged  
did you by chance increase the fuse size too?
hub_n_hun 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2007 at 9:42 AM / IP Logged  

No I bought the amp off a friend of mine. It was working in great condition for about 3 months when I installed it myself but I had taken it out before I had my car painted. The reason I didn't install it after my car was done getting painted is because I was also getting a new 4 ch amp put in as well as 2 caps and a line drive. Since I wasn't familiar with those at the time I let a professional shop do it. Together the amps were putting out 1800rms. The idiots there ended up using one 4 awg wire for both amps. Thats what I was thinking might have been the problem.

Now that coppellstereo mentions the fuse increase maybe that could have caused the problem. When I was looking for a fuse in markham, thats where the car show was I was attending, there were no shops with the right fuse I needed. So I had to find something for when the judges came by so I grabbed a 150a fuse or maybe it was a 200a cant really remember since this was a while ago.

I would just like to get this amp fixed and back to work since it is a very powerful amp. So if I send it to phoenix they can repair it? How about any car audio shop?

Thanks,Corey

coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2007 at 11:11 AM / IP Logged  
Different things could have caused this. but, to me - it sounds like the amp has an internal problem and will need serious help.
Since you bought it from a friend, you might have luck at an electronic repair shop. since you dont have a warranty from PG and their price is steep
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2007 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  

Chris at S&S Electronics in Scarborough can repair this amp for you.

1-866-489-8934

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
hub_n_hun 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2007 at 6:40 PM / IP Logged  
forbidden wrote:

Chris at S&S Electronics in Scarborough can repair this amp for you.

1-866-489-8934

Are you 100% sure? If so, I'll give them a call tomorrow to see how much it'll cost.

Thanks,

Corey

hub_n_hun 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2007 at 12:19 PM / IP Logged  

Thank you "forbiddon". You saved me from spending over $220.amp smoking -- posted image.   Chris at S&S just said it would cost was less than $220 for the repair so I will be visiting him this weekend and hopefully have that amp uo and running shortly after. Thanks for all the help guys!

Corey

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic