icon

no cold starts 689m module

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
p/t installer 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2007 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged  
I've done a viper 5900 in a 2000 toyota tacoma in conjunction with a dei 689m module to make it work with the 5 speed transmission.  now it remote starts fine when the truck is warm or when there hasn't been a long period of time inbetween remote start intravals.  but first thing in the morning, especially when it's really cold out it does not start after the first attempt there is no more attempts because it gets kicked out of ready mode.  now i've already installed a 4700ohm resistor in line on the white tach input wire going to the 689m module which then connects inline to the PURPLE / white tach wire on the 5900.  my installer friend told me this would fix the problem to add resistance in the wire to drop the voltage on that wire that sees to high of an ac signal on the cold mornings.this did not work and my friend now tells me that thier shop has had nothing but problems with dei's 689m modules so they stopped using them, and now my customer is ticked cause it doesn't start in the morning.someone please helllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllp! so this customer finally gets some satisfaction.  by the way i've done the same setup on his girlfriends 2003 cavalier 5 speed and it works fabulous no problems.  does toyota have bad tach signal problems or what else will fix this problem other than a compustar unit that is made for manual trans vehicles?
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2007 at 12:53 AM / IP Logged  
On the one starting attempt it does make....does it crank, just not long enough? If so, try relearning the tach signal at a higher RPM. Usually around 2000 RPM's should do it. Also, remove the resistor. That is probably making things worse.
mobilecustoms 
Silver - Posts: 397
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2007 at 12:21 PM / IP Logged  
is the second starter wire hooked up- its needed for cold starts.
p/t installer 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2007 at 7:37 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for your help but i am not sure that toyoyta vehicles have a second start wire,  to my knowledge only nissan's have that, but i'll look on the truck .
p/t installer 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2007 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged  
yes it does crank, but only a quick one, definitely not a long enough one.  i will try the 2000 rpm tach learn trick, but how will it start in the warmer weather?  and how will it start when you don't have long intravals in between ? will the starter stay engaged, or will it just keep cranking with no start?  definitely thanks for your help though.  will try it out and keep you posted
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2007 at 8:13 PM / IP Logged  
p/t installer wrote:
yes it does crank, but only a quick one, definitely not a long enough one.  i will try the 2000 rpm tach learn trick, but how will it start in the warmer weather?  and how will it start when you don't have long intravals in between ? will the starter stay engaged, or will it just keep cranking with no start?  definitely thanks for your help though.  will try it out and keep you posted
It will still start fine in warmer weather. Nothing to worry about. Try to have the customer leave the car for the whole day on a really cold day. Make the tach learning adjustment in the morning, stick the car outside for a few hours so it gets cold. Try remote starting it and see what happens.
Don't forget to remove that resistor you mentioned in your first post.
p/t installer 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2007 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  
right on, i'll try that out and i will definitely cut out that resistor,  by the way that resistor trick my installer friend told me about, he told me that dei told thier shop that that's the fix for thier non working 689m modules
Big Dog 
Gold - Posts: 1,265
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 30, 2007 at 2:42 PM / IP Logged  

The resistor is needed on 99 Corolla and older coils to limit current and might be needed on yours as well. However, if it enters ready mode and stays latched when it's warm then you might not need it. Definitely keep us posted on what you did and what worked.

The 5900 has the ability to recall shut down codes and might prove helpful to diagnose the problem.

Here's another hint, put a 2volt LED (regular DEI) on the neutral safety wire through a 470 ohm resistor and place it temporarily in view. When it's cold, check it before and after a start attempt. It should stay lit at all times. This way we'll know if it's the 689M or something else at fault. BTW, version 1.x plug in LED worked this way whereas version 2.x turned off the LED for power saving after the last door was closed and engine shut down.

Prepare your future. It wasn't the lack of stones that killed the stone age.
sparkyz125 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2007 at 11:13 PM / IP Logged  
Where did you get your tach signal from? I've had this problem before when getting the signal from an injector.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic