icon

parking brake to hood pin input

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
chadhurd 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2007 at 12:04 PM / IP Logged  
Hey im using a black widow bwz5 and there is no parking break input so i want to hook the (-) parking break wire to the (-) hood pin input. Im doing this because i have a manual trans with remote start. I want the alarm to recognize that if the parking break is not on (no output) a relay will send a (-) input to the alarm. And when the parking break is on the relay will send no signal. Any help will be appreciated.
csorb 
Copper - Posts: 317
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2007 at 5:05 PM / IP Logged  
What vehicle?
wirewise 
Moderator - Posts: 489
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 29, 2007 at 5:18 PM / IP Logged  
If the remote start you are using is not intended to be used on a manual transmission vehicle, either purchase one that is or buy an add-on module that will make it safe to use on a manual transmission vehicle. Even if the unit will only start the vehicle with the parking brake engaged, rigging it like you are attempting to do is still very unsafe and foolish.
~wirewise~
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2007 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  
I have been installing for close to 30 years and every guy i know that installed a RS in a clutch that wasn't intended for it wrecked the car. Applying the parking brake won't stop the car from going if remote started in gear. You need to connect a neutral safety switch to the RS to ensure it's out of gear. Your idea of using the hoodpin wire won't work either. Your brake has a ground output when applyed and the hoodpin wire needs to see zero ground to start.
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
chadhurd 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2007 at 11:49 PM / IP Logged  
first of all the RS is intended for both manual and auto so it is safe but the intended use for the manual you have to perform a exit sequence every time you exit the car which i believe is retarted...yes i know that this sequence makes sure that the car is in nuetral every time i exit the vehicle but i just dont see why i have to do that if there is another way.
Where can i buy a neutral safety switch...and Mike M2 i know what the hood pin input on the alarm or RS is intended for a ground when activated...if you read my post i was looking for a way to reverse the intended input
Im looking to reverse the output of the parking break so that when the parking break is not on then the RS will think that the hood is open
parking break on (no ground)
parking break not on (gound)
and if i knew where to get a neutral switch locally it would have already been installed
thanks for the input
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2007 at 6:30 AM / IP Logged  

I'm not familiar with your RS, but the Avox and DEI units have a neutral safety wire on them that must see ground for it to work. On automatics, it is connected to a toggle switch under the dash and must be on.

As for the nuetral safety switch, that's part of your car. You haven't stated what year and model so we don't know where it is located...

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
geofbettis003 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2007 at 10:57 PM / IP Logged  
sounds like this guy is talking about the Compustar RS unit. If dude doesn't know what he's looking for then he probably shouldn't be trying to install anything.
chadhurd 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2007 at 7:52 AM / IP Logged  
are you talking about me? If so then you didnt read my first post saying that it is a BLACK WIDOW BW-Z5
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 02, 2007 at 11:51 AM / IP Logged  
The safety features of the remote start (the sequence needed to remote start) are valuable. Don't "find a way" around them. Be safe, please. When people do what you are trying to do.....it gives a bad rap to the guys like me, and Mike M2, that DO follow the install rules. Please man, follow the instructions and have a rig that anyone could drive and use......without harming anyone.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic