the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

02 dodge ram blower motor quit

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2007 at 5:15 PM / IP Logged  

Doing a remote start on this pile, got done and while testing it noticed blower motor doesn't turn on. So I test and find more than the 2 accessories I already have. Test remote start again and still no blower motor. For quicks I put the key in the ignition and try it, nothing(blower motor still dead)? I have checked all fuses and circuit breakers, they are good. I asked the customer if they have had any trouble with it, response yes about 2 months ago the blower quit. I quote "i just kicked into the dash and it started blowing after a couple of kicks" Now where to go from here anybody seen this or heard of the blower just quitting when it wants. The perfect end to a monday.

wlmpwlmp 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2007 at 5:27 PM / IP Logged  
i just did some brake work for a guy on an 03 ram and in talking to him he told me his blower stopped, turned out to be melted contacts in the ignition switch, which is common problem for the ram!! it cost him about $200 for this and it cost the shop $500 after they were done because the antitheft kicked in by whatever they did so it had to go to the dealer to be unlocked!!
WesMan
xtremej 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2007 at 6:24 PM / IP Logged  

This one was wrecked about three months ago, the body shop that did the body work attempted (sadly) to repair some wiring that was damaged. I found the repairs under the carpet. Who would have thought that twisting wires together and taping them would come apart02 dodge ram blower motor quit -- posted image..

jmacf14 
Copper - Posts: 160
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2007 at 8:11 PM / IP Logged  
 I have had blower motors quit before and after tapping gently with a hammer they restarted. the problem usually is the brushes aren't seated against the armature properly.test for 12v at blower motor.if power is there, try tappimg with rubber mallet to reseat brushes.
jmacf14
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2007 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  
The 2002 and early 2003 Ram had a recall for this problem. The wires used in the ignition harness were too skinny to provide enough current to power the blower motor. The dealership replaces 1 of the constant wires feeding the ignition switch, as well as 1 of the accessory wires that feed the blower motor. The dealerships around me never did too neat of a job with the wiring. You could always easily see the new wires that were added.
The recall on the truck in question may have been done, but the connections may have been done poorly. I would send the customer back to the dealer to have the recall done. You may want to remove your system first.
xtremej 
Posted: January 30, 2007 at 8:24 AM / IP Logged  
I couldn't send the customer out with no heat as it was only 8 degrees outside. I repaired the wiring and he was happy to pay my small charge for the repairs. Good to know about that recall though, thanx.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic