icon

my kicker s15l7 is moving too far

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wildchildbmx6 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2007 at 10:42 PM / IP Logged  
when my sub hits certain frequencies it seems to over extend itself and make a popping sound. it has only done it twice and happens in the low freq. ranges. i tried tuning my amp to a different frequency but it doesnt seem to do much. could it be the box im using? i have it in a ported 5 cube box tuned to about 45 hertz. ive been wanting to change the box but havent gotten to it. any ideas or suggestions
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2007 at 9:32 AM / IP Logged  
You have not turned on any subsonic filter. You shouldn't ever run a subwoofer lower than the vent tuning frequency. 45Hz is WAY high, and there is a tremendous amount of musical information below that frequency. Turn your filter on, and that should prevent this from happening.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
wildchildbmx6 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2007 at 12:29 PM / IP Logged  
my amp doesnt have a filter. what should i do?
haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2007 at 12:52 PM / IP Logged  
1: Build a box with a lower tuning point
B: Build a sealed box
3: Use an external crossover with a subsonic filter
D: Turn the bass down (THAT's not gonna happen, I bet - that's probably why you bought the S15L7 in the first place my kicker s15l7 is moving too far -- posted image. )
Those are your options...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
wildchildbmx6 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2007 at 1:22 PM / IP Logged  
huh? turn the bass down? i dont understand what that means. lol i figured i would need a lower tune, but what should i set it to? does the sub Fs have anything to do with tuning
haemphyst 
Posted: January 30, 2007 at 4:18 PM / IP Logged  
Ah, yes... I remember those bass-heavy days! The days I just didn't want to turn it down... "Hi, I'm Dave, and I'm a basshead. I have been bass-clean for ten years." my kicker s15l7 is moving too far -- posted image.
Well, yes. The Fs of the woofer will help determine two things:
First, it will help determine how low it can actually play with any efficiency, in an optimum sealed box.
And second, it will help determine a (the) optimal tuning frequency for a vented enclosure, for flattest frequency response.
wildchildbmx6 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2007 at 11:05 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for the help. im definitely going to build a new box tomorrow
hottwhyrd 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2007 at 1:28 PM / IP Logged  

i found a non powered rca level adjustible subsonic filter from some company on the net.  wish i could remember where tho!

ne ways it was cheap and it worked great till i switched back to a sealed box.   (i needed to hear rock music)

haemphyst 
Posted: January 31, 2007 at 3:31 PM / IP Logged  
I believe you are referring to these:
Harrison Labs F-Mods.
You'll want a HIGH-PASS pair that will be fairly close to your woofer boxes' tuning frequency. If you are planning on sticking close to 45Hz (shudder), don't use an F-Mod with a LOWER point than, I'd say, 30Hz. Higher might be even better, if the issue is still present.
wildchildbmx6 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2007 at 5:46 PM / IP Logged  
i plan to build another box at around 32Hz or so. 
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic