icon

system draining the battery

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
el115 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2007 at 1:59 PM / IP Logged  
im havein to jumpstart my car every day cus my battery has a low charge, did i hook my system up wrong cus my battery is only a year old. or is my amp drainin it? i have no clue so if any one knows wats goin on let me no please.
Big Dog 
Gold - Posts: 1,265
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 30, 2007 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  

Supposing that you don't have a amp meter, disconnect the amp at the battery for a day or two to see if she'll start up.

What did you add/install?

Where's the amp turn-on wire connected?

Is your head unit wired so that it plays without the key?

Did the car start OK before you installed the amp?

Prepare your future. It wasn't the lack of stones that killed the stone age.
el115 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2007 at 3:33 PM / IP Logged  
the wire is connected to the cd player and the cd player dosent work without the key. i just bought this amp from a buddy and a cd player. if it helps there is a leak in the trunk.
el115 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2007 at 3:41 PM / IP Logged  

o and i do have an amp meter. how would i use it?

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2007 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged  
system draining the battery -- posted image.
Follow that diagram, and note how much current is being pulled. Do this with the key in the off position. It shouldn't be more than maybe 100 to 150 mA, and lower than that is even better.
If it is higher than that, (it probably will be, being as you need a jump-start each morning) start pulling fuses. ONE AT A TIME. Note how much the current drops after each fuse, then replace the fuse. (I would actually start by removing the amplifier remote lead from the amp's remote terminal here, as this is the last item you installed, right?) Check for +12v on the remote terminal. If present, then there is possibly an issue with the HU or the amplifier. You did not tell us the name or brand of amp (or deck, for that matter) you have installed, but cheezy amps CAN have weird power supply issues. (I have seen them power up by themselves without a remote lead even being connected - AND not indicate being on with a power light.) If the amplifier is the offending device, pull the fuse from the deck, while having the remote lead connected. Check for +12v on the remote lead again. If it is now gone, then the HU is the offending component. Replace it.
::::::EDIT::::::
Oh, and make certain your meter is on the 20A range and jacks - FIRST. If you use the low current jacks, (probably labelled 200mA) and the current being measured exceeds what they are rated for, you can burn your meter, if it is not fuse protected.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
el115 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2007 at 1:13 PM / IP Logged  
aright thanks ill try that and my deck is a pioneer and my amp is a sound storm labratory f2600 two channel with 1200 watts hooked up to 2 12" alpine type rs

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic