icon

Toolbox Keyless Entry

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fiberodf150 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2007 at 11:20 AM / IP Logged  
I have 2004 Dodge Ram 1 Ton quad cab dually with the 5.9 cummins.  It has factory keyless entry.  I want to be able to lock the tool box when I lock the truck with the oem keyless remote.  Same thing when I open it.  I have purchased 2 door actuators and plenty of relays.  How would I go about making this work?  The tool box is a single lid, spring loaded with the pull style latched on both sides.  They are positioned on the front of the box.  I have all the schematics from Directechs.com on the truck.
dias_ryan 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2007 at 12:23 PM / IP Logged  

Here's the problem I see.  You (or owner) does not want the tool box to "POP Open" every time he/she unlocks it.  Specifically since a new toolbox (working right) should open the lid on its own (pneumatic cylinders).

So your "UNLOCK" would have to totally bypass the keyed lock.  Such that I would just NOT lock it with the key, and add a new Electrically operated (solenoid you bought) lock.  Either that, or remove the lock cylinder mechanizm and replace it with the solenoid you bought.

I think a lot would depend on how exactly your toolbox locks and if that mechanizm is integrated with the current latch mechanism.

It would be pretty "pumped" if you get it to work though.  good luck.

Hymer 
Silver - Posts: 695
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2007 at 12:26 PM / IP Logged  
Dodges operate on a single wire lock/unlock system.. Im not 100% sure on this, but take off the door panel, so you can access the actuator. If it has 2 wires coming off of it, one wire will read 12v and the other ground [when locked] and the wires will then flip flop when you press unlock. If that is the case, pull 2 wires from the door actuator to your new actuator for the tool box, and whala.. power locking tool box. If you only have 1 wire, hmm might need to think about that one.. Im pretty sure it will have 2. just make sure to test it with a DMM before ya wire anything. If Im wrong about this, Im sure someone will let ya know....
Tire Proz Stillwater Mn
High End Restyling and Comlete Repair
Big Dog 
Gold - Posts: 1,265
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 31, 2007 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged  

Relays aren't really required if you connect the actuators two wires to the light green and the tan/light green door lock wires in the driver's kick - be sure to syncronize lock/unlock of the actuator with the truck. Use a 5 amp circuit breaker close to the OEM wires to feed the acuators for short circuit protection.

Keep in mind that the actuators aren't waterproof nor foolproof. Figure out a way to mechanically bypass the actuator in case of failure or you'll be locked out of the toolbox.

The latches are on the outside of the box but you can't use those because of obvious security problems.

Figure out a way to put the actuators inside the box and have them latch the lid shut.

Here are some quick sketches with the lid open and closed:

Toolbox Keyless Entry - Last Post -- posted image.Toolbox Keyless Entry - Last Post -- posted image.

Prepare your future. It wasn't the lack of stones that killed the stone age.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic