icon

my friend wants to be able to rev

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
evileagletalon 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2007 at 12:52 AM / IP Logged  
Ok guys, my friend wants to be able to rev up his car with his alarm. I'm going to be installing a Compustar 2 way remote start alarm on his car, a Mitsubishi 3000GT.
How should I move the throttle body linkage? With a door lock solenoid or an actuator of some kind?
I was thinking some kind of motor, like a power antenna motor or something.
I've never done this before, but I want your help for this collaboration.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 01, 2007 at 6:51 AM / IP Logged  
You could probably use a trunk actuator somehow.
But, as soon as the engine revs up, the remote starter's over-rev protection will shut the remote starter down entirely.
You could do the install in voltage-sense mode, without using a tachometer connection.
However, Compustar doesn't have that, so you must use tach sensing. Also, an older car like that, especially if it doesn't run perfectly, or has performance modifications, isn't going to work well in voltage-sense anyway.
lspker 
Silver - Posts: 503
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2007 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  
Not a good idea to rev it up without some sort of rpm limiting device.  The motor could run away and self destruct when unloaded.  Find a way to activate the cold idle system for "small" rev increase.  Using a mechanical device could be harmful if it were to stick.
throwback2332 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2007 at 10:13 PM / IP Logged  
First off WHY do you wanna rev your car. If it idles to low to remote crank adjust the idle linkage. Just to sound cool will cause trouble down the road. most newer cars are fuel injected and dont require reving the engine at start up unlike older carb vehicles.
If it's not custom, then it's not you.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 02, 2007 at 8:33 AM / IP Logged  
Nothing adds reliability like revving a cold motor solely for the 'coolness' factor!
Kevin Pierson
evileagletalon 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2007 at 10:07 AM / IP Logged  
guys, don't blame me, my friend just wants to rev....and he knows better then to rev it when its cold. He's going to have a few outputs available, and this would take up one of the outputs. I'm probably gunna install a Compustar 2w900fmr a/s or a 2wss a/s on his car.
This is just something different, not something you see everyday. I think it's kinda cool.
The 2nd post gave me a good idea to use a trunk popper motor. I'll fabricate something incorporating that.
warpedimage3 
Copper - Posts: 90
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2007 at 10:12 AM / IP Logged  
just make sure he knows what this could cause so you dont get blamed for anything and good luck
throwback2332 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2007 at 7:19 PM / IP Logged  
Best advice from installers point of view, don't install. Installer sometimes (help the person) to make eletronics user friendly, but this is way past user friendly. I do installs and i help friends install, i have lost friends and customers from saying no.
Example: guy wants a hood pin switch installed on his gas tank cap, because hes been losing gas. Cool. 1st thing i noticed no way to open cap from the outside just from the inside of the car. 2 no pry marks. Told him he don't need a hood pin switch someone is getting in the car and popping the lid. finally told him i don't have time for this, you want it go somewhere else.
p.s. I installed a scytek camara alarm on his car 2 months later. His girlfriend had a spare key, you know the rest.
If it's not custom, then it's not you.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic