the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

2000 bmw 5 series remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jaurora 
Silver - Posts: 429
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2007 at 7:20 AM / IP Logged  

I already have the tech sheets for this car and all in all it dose not seem to be to bad except the fack of having to go into the drivers door. My question is, I will be installing a remote start and keyless entry in this vehilce. The key has the chip in it and the tech sheet calls out a DEI 556UW. This is where I need some insight. First of all the BMW key has the factory remote built into the key head so the head of the key is somewhat big. Will this key fit into the box? I do not have one on hand as they are on order. Also the BMW keys have a battery in them. The battery charges when the key is in the ignition. Dose the battery need to remain charged for the 556 to be able to pick up the signal from the key or is the battery strictly for the remote? Also if anyone has done one of these before klet me know how hard it was as well as any helpfull tips you may have

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Jeremy

MECP certified (If it really means anything)
Jeremy
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 30, 2007 at 8:20 AM / IP Logged  
Get your self an OE transponder ring and wire it in paralell with the factory unit using a relay. If the car gas a valet key, this is the ideal key to use. When I get to work I'll post more on how to wire it....unless you know
jaurora 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2007 at 8:48 AM / IP Logged  
Thank you for the reply. I have the Directed sheet that shows how to bypass the EWS system with the additional antenna ring. But when using this ring, how do you hold the key in place with the ring ?
Jeremy
KarTuneMan 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 30, 2007 at 2:44 PM / IP Logged  

Lot's of tabe..... This I have done several times...

Center it with a tiny bit, test it.....then tape the cr*p out of it!

jaurora 
Posted: February 01, 2007 at 9:31 AM / IP Logged  

I will be installing a R/S and keyless system in a 2000 5 series. The one question, prob. a dumb one, I see that the factory alarm is operated by the door locks and the doorlock wires are inside the drivers door. Is there a way to momentary bypass the factory alarm during the remote start operation insted of having to unlock the vehilce before remote starting it?

also how much of a pain is it to get the drivers door panel off on this car. I seem to hear many of rumors about this car so any help would be great.

Thanks in advance

Jeremy

Jeremy
KarTuneMan 
Posted: February 01, 2007 at 9:42 AM / IP Logged  

1.) No

2.) it's a pain

Check to see if your unit can be programmed to lock after start....like an astrostart.

jaurora 
Posted: February 04, 2007 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged  

Well after a long 7 hours I can say that BMW is now on the bottom of my list. I will most likely never want to do another one.

One problem that I ended up with was the battery was dead when I was done. I as pretty sure that this was because the drivers door was open for the 6-7 hours I was installing. One another note here is where the problem is, if it is coincidental or not I am unsure. The seatbelt light along with the transmission light are on. Acording to the guy I installed it for he said that the seatbelt light was never on. The light does go out when the belt is plugged in just like any other vehicle so I do not know what is going on here. As for the tranny light, everthing shifts fine on the car so there is nothing wrong with the tranny. I used both ignition wires as well as the 3 red 12V wires and the black starter wire. Tagged the door/alarm wires inside the drivers door, connected the 556U ( I did not use the ring, I tapped into the factory 2 wire ring per the DEI instructions)

Taged the trunk wire at the switch, and hit the brake wire at the switch. I am running a Valet 561R system in tachless mode as I was not about to dig under the hood. This wraps it up with all of the wiring so if you have any ideas as to why the tranny light is on please let me know. The light comes on when the car is under remote start and/or with the key.

Any help would be great,

Thank you.

Jeremy
jaurora 
Posted: February 05, 2007 at 10:06 AM / IP Logged  

Quick update!!

All the lights are off and the cart is running with no issues. It seems it was just a strange fluke, perhaps when we jump started the car.

My insight to everone that wants to do this car, PASS on it. It is do-able but getting through the door and pulling it apart i have to rate it a 9 out of 10.

Jeremy
green6767 
Copper - Posts: 209
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2007 at 10:28 AM / IP Logged  
these are not my favorite cars at all either. They do get better as you do more of them, but it has to be the right price in order for me to do another one.
Shaun, we are the same height, that is neat!
12V Installation Technician for Honda, Dodge, Chrysler, Toyota and Jeep.
jaurora 
Posted: February 05, 2007 at 10:32 AM / IP Logged  
Agreed!
Jeremy
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic