alarm malfunction can't drive car

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kindwoman 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2007 at 10:33 AM / IP Logged  

Hi all,

I just purchased a 2001 GMC Jimmy. The guy I bought it from had bought it used from the original owner. This original owner had installed an aftermarket alarm system but gave no information with the sale. The guy I bought from (newpaper ad), told me about the alarm, said he never used it and did'nt know anything about it. Well, I had planned on taking the Jimmy to an alarm installer and have him check it out for me. The Jimmy came with the factory key fob controller (to lock and unlock doors, etc.). When I got my new car home last night, I used the key fob to lock the doors (which took a couple of pushes of the lock button). When I returned to the vehicle 15 min. later, I pushed the unlock button on the key fob but it wouldn't work. I then unlocked the door with the key and the alarm went off! I started pushing all the buttons on the key fob and after a minute or so, the alarm stopped. Now there is a flashing red light to the left of my steering wheel and I'm afraid if I open the door the alarm will go off again and I won't be able to shut it off this time.

I'm just a girl who knows nothing about cars and am so upset I can't drive my new car! I called the seller and asked about it and he said all he knows is there's suppose to be some kind of box with a cut off button under the dash but he could never find it. He said the alarm went off on him one time and he just kept pushing the unlock button on the key fob and eventually it stopped. What a jerk for not warning me about this! Now I have no car to drive and don't know how to even get it to a fix-it shop without driving down the road, blarring the alarm. Any advise would be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance

KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 01, 2007 at 10:59 AM / IP Logged  
If the alarm is not a point of interest for you.....have someone (a mechanic type dude) come over and pull the thing out....should be straight foward. The starter wire hase more than likely been cut (for starter disable) like what you are haveing.   Have you TRIED to start the rig.....try it!
kindwoman 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2007 at 11:03 AM / IP Logged  
yes I forgot to mention when the alarm went off I thought starting the vehicle would stop it. It started fine but the alarm kept sounding untill I pushed the key fob button.
swamprat323 
Gold - Posts: 1,335
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2007 at 11:06 AM / IP Logged  
well for the time until u get it to the install just cut the wire to the siren so it wont here it
kindwoman 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2007 at 11:10 AM / IP Logged  
okay, you guys need to remember I'm a girl who knows nothing about cars. How do I find the wire to the siren? Or how do I find the box to pull it out? Thanks for your help.
Big Dog 
Gold - Posts: 1,265
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 01, 2007 at 2:03 PM / IP Logged  

The siren shouldn't be too hard to find under the hood . . . just follow the sound. The siren is about the size of your two fists together and has a bell shape usually with wires coming out. Simply cut the wires then take your SUV to an install shop.

Siren looks like this:

alarm malfunction can't drive car -- posted image.

Prepare your future. It wasn't the lack of stones that killed the stone age.
kindwoman 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2007 at 2:19 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks, Big Dog. Its snowing right now so I will wait until it lets up to go look for my siren. I really appreciate your help as I was really stuck on this one. I'll let you know how it goes when I get a chance to go out! Thanks again.
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2007 at 5:42 PM / IP Logged  
Grab a flashlight and go outside. Unlock the door and open it. Look around under the dash area (above the brake and gas pedals). Hopefully you will see a little push button mounted somewhere under there. Turn the key ON, and press the button. Hopefully the alarm stops. If it doesn't...turn key off, turn key on, then hold the button for at least 5 seconds. Hopefully the alarm shuts off. Those are the two most common ways to shuts off an alarm. If those don't work....good luck.
Just thought of another thing....the red light flashing on your dash may also be a push button. Try pushing on it and see if it pushes in and out. There are only a couple companies that combine the red light and push button...so this may not apply to your alarm.
kindwoman 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2007 at 6:01 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks JWorm. Unfortunately it didn't stop snowing until it got dark so I have decided to wait till tomorrow to mess with it. I am so paronoid that I won't be able to turn it off and my neighbors will be kept up all night! The red light flashing on the dash is a push button. I tried pushing it when the alarm went off yesterday but nothing happened. I didn't put the key in the ignition though. Maybe I will try that one. The thing that bothers me is when I called the guy that sold me the car he said he had heard there was a box somewhere under the dash or hood that had a button or toggle switch that you could use to disarm the alarm but he was never able to find it. If he couldn't find it I don't know how I'm going to find it! Maybe the red light on the dash is the button. I will try that. You guys don't know what a big help you have been. I was just lost as to what to do. Wish I could bake you some cookies or something...lol! Thanks again. I will let you know tomorrow how it turned out.

dre187 
Copper - Posts: 129
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2007 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  
try changing the battery on the remote. there should be one little screw on it in the back that you can use a little jewlers screwdriver to take off. then it just pops open. usually when you have to press the button a few times to make something work, its a sign that the battery is low. as for that push-button light...when the alarm is going off, try putting your key in and turning it to the 'on" position. while the key is in the on position, press the button for 1 second, release and then press and hold the button. the alarm should stop after that. goooood luck
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic