icon

dei remote start tach wire utilization

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
new2mud 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2007 at 12:24 PM / IP Logged  
Do installers typically bypass the tach wire and go with the voltage sensing mode on DEI remote start installs, in order to not have to run a wire through the firewall to the tach wire in the engine bay?
If so, what is the typical configuration setup?
The one I plan to use is the Viper 160xv in a 1990 Lexus LS400.
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 01, 2007 at 12:29 PM / IP Logged  
The absolute best way is to use a tachometer connection. The tachometer connection will run the starter only until it sees the proper voltage on the wire it is reading. If you do voltage sensing, the unit will crank the starter for the programmable amount of time and may not always start on the first try, especially with older vehicles.
DEI lists this for your tach:
Tachometer      black       AC      at either ignitor
With this note:
LEXUS, LS 400, 1990, Tachometer
the ignitor is located on the passenger side behind headlight and air flow meter in a black plastic box. set module to the four(4) cylinder setting since each ignitor runs 4 cylinders.
new2mud 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2007 at 3:01 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the tip 12V!
Any tricks of the trade to get a thin wire through the firewall of a luxury car that is sound deadened to the max?
russ lund 
Copper - Posts: 188
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2007 at 3:29 PM / IP Logged  
I agree with Twelvolts.Until this year I only installed Ultra Start units and always used the tach wire.This year we added Scytek units and their tech guys told us to try them tachless.When it got cold the units I tried tachless don't always start.So go find your tach source and you won't be sorry.Russ.
BigDog
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 01, 2007 at 3:38 PM / IP Logged  
I own a tool that looks just like this this. Makes life very easy.
And, just for the record...I am not 12V..that is the person who owns and runs this incredible site...I am twelvoltz (and have been since 95 when I was in the industry). dei remote start tach wire utilization -- posted image.
another-kelly 
Silver - Posts: 618
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2007 at 6:53 PM / IP Logged  
i have those grommet tools myself. love them!! our other trick is to sharpen an antenna down to a point to go through rubber grommets.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 02, 2007 at 8:32 AM / IP Logged  

First of all, it's not a big deal to run the tach wire through the firewall with the power wire (depending on application), siren wire, and HOOD PIN wire.  :)

Always hook up tach, it will save you headaches down the road.

Kevin Pierson

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic