icon

sub box, use manufacturer specs or my own

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
goser 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2007 at 11:44 PM / IP Logged  
I'm building a sealed box for a infinity perfect 12.1 (running off infinity 611a) and I see most people on the forum are using a 1 cubic foot box, which is what the manufacturer recommends.  However, using several calculators to get a qtc of .707 the box should be 1.6 cubic feet.  What would be the differences between these two boxes?
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 02, 2007 at 8:40 AM / IP Logged  

0.6 cubic feet.

I love pop quizzes.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
goser 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2007 at 8:43 AM / IP Logged  

Took me a second to get that...

Anyone else?

jettagli03 
Copper - Posts: 311
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2007 at 10:22 AM / IP Logged  
Haha, I would listen to him.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 02, 2007 at 10:28 AM / IP Logged  

Factory recommended enclosures are purely a recommendation that provides a specific marketed response from the speakers.  I'd recommend using the enclosure size that works best for your install and listening tastes.  Also, don't be locked on .707 as "ideal".  It provides a maximally flat anechoic response, but might not work well in a vehicle when cabin gain is added.

As for the differences, the 1.6 cubic foot enclosure will have more low end and be more efficient, but at the cost of power handling.

kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2007 at 11:40 AM / IP Logged  
mine are 1.05 and the qtc is around .752, sounds rockin, all types of music sound great to me. I just manually adjust the bass if I am listening to rock, pop, rap, etc... to my likings, and am VERY happy with it at 1.05
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)
j_darling2007 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2007 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  
I have 2 12.1 kappa perfects running on the 611a amp and I just took them out of their 1 cubic foot boxes and put them in 1.8 cubic foot sealed boxes. It has a little more output and it still sounds nice and clean
There are 3 kinds of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't
kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2007 at 11:05 PM / IP Logged  
From what I have heard from numerous people is that they are pretty accepting subwoofers, and will sound good in most applications, jdarling is a perfect example, he is almost doubling the box size, that just shows the acceptiveness of these subs to almost any type of box heh.
bottom line... enjoy!
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)
goser 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2007 at 11:08 AM / IP Logged  

Hmmm...  Ideally I want the flattest, lowest curve, but space is at a premium.  I think I'll go with the factory recommendations, solely for the size.  I just found out I might be able to get my hands on some free fiberglassed marine grade plywood--if I do I'll build both boxes and post back.

Curious though, could you clarify how the larger enclosure would affect power handling?  If i figure right, the more air space the less resistance therefore higher efficiency but requires more power?

Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 03, 2007 at 11:44 AM / IP Logged  
goser wrote:

Curious though, could you clarify how the larger enclosure would affect power handling?  If i figure right, the more air space the less resistance therefore higher efficiency but requires more power?

The larger enclosure takes less power to reach a given amount of output because of the increased efficiency.  But the speaker will reach it's mechanical limits earlier in the larger enclosure, thereby decreasing it's power handling.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic