icon

2004 traiblazer intermittent start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
firecomp 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2007 at 7:19 AM / IP Logged  
I have a 2004 Chevrolet Trailbalzer with a DEI 1400XP & 457GW. Everything works fine on the Door Lock side. When I installed 1400 I had to add additional relay for the 2nd Acc Brown. I used Orange on the aux harness on the relay module. When I got the 1400 from CC the "manager" stated that he had an 06 and did not need to hook-up the brown. I pointed him to directech and this forum with regards to the Body Control Module Power and transmissions and stated I did not want to take any chances. He was adamant about the brown but I added relay anyway.
Thats the back story, now the issue. When I activate the starter the first time it cycles I get only dash lights and chime, nothing else, no ACC or cranking. On the second cycle everything, Headlights, Blower, Radio, comes on and it starts OK. I soldered all connections and rechecked again. I even swapped the main module, not the relay module, and it acts the same. Now...if I disconnect the relay aux harness, esentially disconnecting the brown relay, it works fine everytime. I have tried both setting on the ACC control, "on when wait" and "off when wait". If I plug in the aux harness when it has started it will either keep running and relay powers up or the system will shut-down. No pattern to this. I have tested resistance in relay and even grounded the wire seperately when vehicle is in remote run and it is OK. Should I disconnect the brown relay and be done with it? Should I change out the main relay module, (pain in the ass)? Should I just live with it taking two cycles to start?
HELP, Bob
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 02, 2007 at 7:34 AM / IP Logged  
I don't think you should have to live with it.
I rarely power up the brown second-accessory wire on GM vehicles, and haven't had a problem. But at the same time, powering it shouldn't hurt.
I would take your circuit tester, and test EVERYTHING in these three places, while operating the remote start, especially if you can get it to fail while you are there:
1. Ignition/accessory wires on the Trailblazer.....that is, the thick factory wires at the steering column, NOT anywhere on the remote starter.
2. At the OUTPUT terminals from the remote starter's relay pack, and from the extra relay you added.
3. The thin ribbon wires at the INPUT side of the relay pack.
With that information, you should be hopefully able to determine if you have:
Bad relay pack, bad aftermarket relay, faulty crimp where the wires enter/exit the relay pack, bad solder connections at the car, or possibly some other cause.
On the other hand, if you find that ALL of the Trailblazer's ignition/accesory wires are operating properly when the remote starter fails, the problem must be somewhere else.
Also, on many GMs, including yours, it's important that the brown wire drop power during crank..........you said you used the small orange output from the 1400, which sounds right........but double check anyway. If the brown doesn't drop power, the starter won't crank.
firecomp 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2007 at 8:37 AM / IP Logged  
I believe you may be on to something with the brown power during crank. I am not sure, but I think the brown stays powered up durng crank due to the 2-? setting for "acc during wait", I will check. Also I did replace the ribbon to the relay pack. I thought that solved it, but didn't, I hate intermittent issues.
This forum is great, you get many many years of experience in one place.
Thanks,
Bob
mikvot 
Gold - Posts: 1,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2007 at 8:42 AM / IP Logged  
just did 1 the everyday and had the same problem....the brown wire does not need to be hooked up.....when i had it hooked up the car would crank, but would not fire....as soon as the brown was disconnected, it started every time.
soultinter 
Copper - Posts: 170
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2007 at 8:55 AM / IP Logged  
GM POS!!  some need the brown wire some don't, still can't tell which ones or why.
green6767 
Copper - Posts: 209
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2007 at 2:25 PM / IP Logged  
soultinter wrote:
GM POS!!  some need the brown wire some don't, still can't tell which ones or why.
If you ever find out....LEMME KNOW. I know exactly what you are talking about. Out of the hundreds I've done....maybe 5 have needed the brown wire. NO IDEA WHY!?!
Shaun, we are the same height, that is neat!
12V Installation Technician for Honda, Dodge, Chrysler, Toyota and Jeep.
jim hunter 
Silver - Posts: 351
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2007 at 6:08 PM / IP Logged  
this gm doesnt need the brown hooked up, but like most new gm's there is no starter wire (some will have the wire but it does nothing) , it relies on the bcm seeing ign&acc, then acc drop, that tells bcm to crank motor, so if brown is hooked up it has to drop during crank ( i.e true acc, not 2nd ign) or it will not crank, i have had a few odd vehicles thet needed accessories hooked up that i normally never do, but not this model, this is probably 1 of the best gms out there to do, and at least they havent done factory start on this one yet so we at least have a few cars we can still do LOL
NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2007 at 2:33 AM / IP Logged  
Just to clear up some things.. You need the brown wire on trucks with quadrasteer or special brake systems. Both are rare options you won't see them often. If you look at the bottom right of the dash there will be a button there in those normally blank knockouts/pocket. If doing a diesel you may want to power it up as well. The OEM keyless will not function during the wait to start period if the brown wire isn't powered up. On the trailblazer you don't need it regardless. It goes to the rear fusebox and powers the wipers, special equipment options, and the rear truck body controller. Not going to cause a big deal. And no it doesn't power the radio as I hear a lot of people say.. The brown wire hasn't powered the radio for about the last 10? years now.. And in reply to the last post the 04 trailblazer DOES have a starter wire, and it is required or the truck won't crank.. The only trailblazer/envoy with the starter wire in the harness, but isn't required, is the late 06/07's. This is true on the new rendezvous as well. On some models you MUST power the brown wire as an IGN and not an accessory or you will get trouble lights. You would see this on the sunfire/cavalier only if your using a bypass that works through the databus (gmbp)rather than tapping into the passlock wires. Equinox brown and orange are both required as ACC. Most saturns require both the orange and brown as well. That's about it a few rare cases.. If the unit I'm installing has the extra output available, I will hook it up or at least run the wire up and test from there. If not, worry about that when your done it only takes a few minutes to throw a relay and some diodes in..
Mike
jim hunter 
Silver - Posts: 351
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2007 at 10:35 AM / IP Logged  
my apologies, yes a 2004 does have a starter wire( mixed this post with a nother one about 06), but trailblazer does not need the brown wire powered( i work at a chevy store and do about 10 of these a week and have never used it,did have a friend at another chevy store say he has had only 1 that did) but to power it up is no big deal, just ensure proper wiring of relay (making sure it drops during crank like orange accessory wire) are you using the - orange output or the thick + orange relay wires differently depending on which one your using

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic