Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 08, 2007 at 5:21 PM / IP Logged  
Elemental Designs SQ10 shallow mount subwoofer
Has a 5 year warranty!!!
I'm buying one for my dad's Silverado next week
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2007 at 5:37 PM / IP Logged  
Look into the Alto shallow mount woofers, here... I have heard them and they are amazing drivers. I don't know the prices of them, really, but I can tell you they are very nice "pieces of kit".
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
blackmica3 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2007 at 7:02 PM / IP Logged  
I have heard the Pioneer TS-SW3041D and was not amused. The bass was I guess you could say muddy. It was in a ported enclosure and just did not sound right. Hard to explain, but in my personal opinion I would not run the Pioneer
ants_s2 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2007 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged  
I've heard most people say the Pioneer's aren't the best choice. Given that, I would probably put those at the bottom of my list.
I am really curious about the Clarion subs. I would be able to squeeze 3 of these into my truck because they use like .3 or .5 ft/3 each. Anyone have experience with these
jonathancullen 
Silver - Posts: 282
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2007 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  
you can put any sub in a small box, people just read the manuals and think that that is the best possible. yes they sound good in the recommended size box but you can put them in a small box also. someone correct me if im wrong but i have been told this a couple of times and dont see why it would be false...
two 12" cadence TXW-12S, cadence TXA-3002 amplifier, 1990 toyota celica system 10 speakers
ants_s2 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2007 at 11:43 PM / IP Logged  
Well, yes and no. From what I understand, you can put a speaker in a smaller box and have it perform properly if:
1. The enclosure is no more than 20% smaller than the recommended size.
2. If you do this, you polyfill the box- about 1lb. per cu. ft.
Or you can put it in a much smaller box and the speaker will sound like doodie. Honestly, I would rather listen to a stock system than a doodiety system that I built. Doing it this way is pointless.
My main concern here is the depth of the speaker itself. My theory is by using 3 of the Clarion subs, I have more woofer surface area and therefore, more bass. Again, this is a THEORY. I know there are all kinds of variables here which is why I am asking for the pro's opinions.
jonathancullen 
Silver - Posts: 282
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2007 at 6:11 AM / IP Logged  

yeah i agree.

im guessing this is all going to be sealed up to save space right?

two 12" cadence TXW-12S, cadence TXA-3002 amplifier, 1990 toyota celica system 10 speakers
ants_s2 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2007 at 10:35 AM / IP Logged  
Haemphyst- I checked into the Alto subs and, my god, are they expensive. The 12" are $950 ea. and are discontinued. Wish I had that kind of money to waste, but I don't.
Aznboi- I will look into the Elemental subs. I just have a hard time spending money on something I haven't heard, especially if it is a brand that I have never heard of. At least a brand name like JL (for instance) you can usually count on getting a quality product.
Anyone else comment on the list of speakers?
gavin9797 
Copper - Posts: 106
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2007 at 1:22 PM / IP Logged  
Maybe someone can give a little more insight, but Rockford Fosgate has a shallow mount sub. I believe it is a 3.5" mounting depth. I have not used them before but is another option. If you want but can't information, i can send a link later.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 09, 2007 at 3:33 PM / IP Logged  
ED builds their drivers in house...so they know they quality because they are giving you a 5 year warranty, what other company do you know that has a 5 year warranty on their products???
give their customer service a call and talk to them...really nice people and will work with you.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic