icon

gm transmission problems, remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
steveholtam 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2007 at 3:44 PM / IP Logged  
I installed a Commando remote starting alarm in my 2005 Tahoe back in 2005. A few weeks ago my transmission starting acting up. Both slipping and first gear not engaging. The check engine light has also been coming on.
I remember reading here that a remote start install can cause similar problems. My alarm still remote starts if that means anything.
If this problem is alarm related, would it have taken this long to show signs? Also, what part of the transmission is actually damaged when the remote start alarm gone bad goes bad?
Thanks for any advice. It may just be my tranny going on its own, but I wont to cover all my bases before taking the truck into the shop to be examined by them.
Steve
splaudio 
Copper - Posts: 237
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2007 at 4:17 PM / IP Logged  
did u power the white wire for 2nd ignition? if so yes it can damage ur tranny...
kaezoo 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2007 at 5:05 PM / IP Logged  
splaudio wrote:
did u power the white wire for 2nd ignition? if so yes it can damage ur tranny...
Rather, if you fail to power the white second ignition wire it can cause transmission damage.
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 05, 2007 at 5:11 PM / IP Logged  
As others have already mentioned, if the white wire is not energized during remote start it can cause damage to your transmission. If your remote start has been triggering the check engine light and the light does not come on when starting with the key I would think there is a problem with the starter energizing that white wire. If the check engine light comes on when you start with the key you may indeed just have a transmission problem. To be sure, check the white wire with a DMM when remote starting.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
steveholtam 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2007 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  
My check engine light is coming on with the key. I double checked all my RS wires last night, and all my soldiers were still good and strong and insulated.
I made an appointment this coming Monday with the dealer for warranty work. I am afraid that if they notice the remote start, they will try and blame that and me.
Should I remove the remote start just in case?
Also, does anyone know exactly what mechanically breaks or stops working in these transmissions if the problem is remote starter related?
Thanks again!!
advanced 
Copper - Posts: 207
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2007 at 1:40 PM / IP Logged  

I don't think there's any reason to remove the remote start. If they look at the ignition wires, they'll be able to tell that you had something hooked up anyway. They can't void the warranty, if you hooked something up properly. You said you soldered the wires & they all test perfect with remote start, right? As Twelvoltz mentioned, make sure you have 12V on the white Ign. wire under control of remote start only. Your tranny problem could just be a coincidence.

I am not familiar with what problem could arise in the transmission by not powering up the white wire. Nor how long it could take to act up, if you didn't hook up the white wire.

Good Enough Isn't!
Hymer 
Silver - Posts: 695
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2007 at 3:52 PM / IP Logged  
The truck will shift eradicly and not want to go into overdrive.. I think here is a fuse in the engine compartment to check, I have seen a couple where the installer blew the fuse, and you still get 12 on your white 2nd ign from both rs and the key, but the tranny doesnt get turned on. Take the batt cable off for a while and then re attatch it. Start the truck with the key and see if it pops a code as you drive it, that will tell ya if it's the truck or not. A scanner will also tell ya what is up...
Tire Proz Stillwater Mn
High End Restyling and Comlete Repair
steveholtam 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2007 at 4:06 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks, I'll try the battery cable tip and see if returns a code. I don't have a code reader, but the dealer could use the results perhaps.
I actually already went and uninstalled the remote starter just in case. I don't want to give the dealer any wiggle room. Plus I really doubt the transmission mechanic guys are going to pull the dash apart to have a look at the ignition wires.
If anyone cares, I will post back next week with the dealers results.
steveholtam 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2007 at 11:16 AM / IP Logged  
Just as a follow up. The reported codes on my truck were:
P0740, P0758, P2761 and P0753 all related to the trans. not changing gears properly.
IPC U1000 and U1016 - loss of communications.
I fully removed my alarm and since then the car has worked fine. I think the alarms head unit had an internal failure of some sort which was causing the problems.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic