icon

prostart ct 3360 remote start problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tankd0g 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2007 at 8:28 AM / IP Logged  
Hello everyone, this is my first post, I hope someone will know what I'm talking about here. 

I bought a Prostar CT-3360 from Canadian tire, it looked like a straight forward install but it hasn't gone well.  I have a 1999 Toyota Rav4 w/manual trans.  The remote starter is for a manual. 

From the prostart web site you can get vehicle wiring reference, it seemed correct except for the starter and ignition wires.  It said the starter wire should be blk/wht and have 12v+ only in the crank position, but the only wire in the ignition switch harness that tested that way was the all-black wire.  It also said the all-black should be 12v+ in both the on and crank position, which is it not, but the blk/wht is.  So basically I just switch those two wires.  Up until now nothing had worked but once I did that the unit works in every way it's supposed to except starting the vehicle.  I can lock/unlock the doors, go through the tach learning procedure and I can even put it in ready mode by starting the car, seting the parking brake, pressing any of the buttons on the remote until the park lights flash three times, pull the key and it keeps running.  I can press the button to shut the engine off and lock the doors.  I just can not get it to start up on it's own.  The clutch is bypassed, the hood pin is in place.  I don't even get the single flash of the parking lights I should get to tell me the start signal has been received.  By pressing the hood pin three times it will flash error codes via the parking lights, the code I get is 3x "hardware reset".  The manual provides no info on what that means and so far I haven't been able to get ahold of the company.  I'm starting to think the unit is defective but maybe soemone here has seen this before and has some insight? 

I would cut my losses at this point and toss the thing if it was just a matter of conveinence, but I have a 1200w inverter for the car and my plan was to be able to remote start it from the house or trailer when I need power, ironically the rest of the features that do work are not even of interest to me. 
tankd0g 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2007 at 9:06 AM / IP Logged  
I should add, I've used only the brown and green lock/unlock wires on the 12 pin harness.  I can't see any use for the rest of them but maybe that's what I'm missing.
lspker 
Silver - Posts: 503
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2007 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged  
You need to hook up the door trigger.  The unit needs to see the door open and close to work.
tankd0g 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2007 at 2:37 PM / IP Logged  
Well that certainly helped, I found the right wire and now when I try to remote start it it at least clicks and flashes, but it fails to start.  the error is now 5 flashes "no tach cutoff".  Again, no idea what that means, the tach learning was sucessfull as far as I can tell.   At least now I know the unit is not defective, I just have to find out what else is wrong.
prostart ct 3360 remote start problem -- posted image.
tankd0g 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2007 at 2:38 PM / IP Logged  
tankd0g wrote:
Well that certainly helped, I found the right wire and now when I try to remote start it it at least clicks and flashes, but it fails to start.  the error is now 5 flashes "no tach cutoff".  Again, no idea what that means, the tach learning was sucessfull as far as I can tell.   At least now I know the unit is not defective, I just have to find out what else is wrong.

Oh ya, and when it fails to start, it does 3 long flashes.
tankd0g 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2007 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  
I'm thinking that the starter wire is in the wrong place and "no tach cut" means that it stoped trying to start because it received no signal from the tach indicating it started.  Anyone with experience on Toyota's know where the starter wire is?  It doens't appear to be any of the wires at the ignition switch.  Perhaps it's a relay?
dre187 
Copper - Posts: 129
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2007 at 6:26 PM / IP Logged  

the starter wire should be black and the ignition wire should be BLACK/ white, both  at the ignition harness. where did you get your tach signal from and how did you bypass the clutch?

tankd0g 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2007 at 6:52 PM / IP Logged  
Tach signal is off the black wire on the white plug on the forward ignition coil.  The clutch I just bridged the two wires at the switch so the circuilt is closed.  I do have the starter wire going to black and ignition to blk/wht as you describe even though their reference chart showed it the other way around. They are tied in right below where the key goes, that is what I assumed they meant by ignition harness.
tankd0g 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2007 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  
I got the unit working, I reset it and went through all the set up procedures again and this time it let me start the car.  So hopefully that's the end of this project.  Oh man do I wish I had gone and bought the beer before I tore my car all apart :)  Thanks for the help guys, hopefully I can be of help to someone here on something else.
dre187 
Copper - Posts: 129
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2007 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  
just remember...those wiring guides are for reference only...never depend on them 100%
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic