icon

1 sec mom input to 5 sec mom output

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
aussieandrew 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2007 at 2:33 AM / IP Logged  
Whilst request is not specifically for a motor vehicle, as it is 12v I thought some genius here might be able to assist.
I basically want to unlock a house door via remote control.
So far I have come up with the following
a) Remote relay 12v 1sec momentary output as per http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=LR8822&CAtid=&keywords=remote+relay&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly= &Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCAtid=
b) Door latch (similar to security door locks on some offices)
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=LA5078&CAtid=&keywords=door+latch&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly= &Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCAtid=
Problem: Relay output is only 1 second, and I ideally need 5 seconds to be able to open door.
I do not want a latched relay as there is a risk that the door latch will be kept continuously powered and burn out.
So, is there a relay combination to convert 1 second momentary input into a 5 second momentary output?
Alternatively is there a different remote relay available that can output for say 5 seconds (momentary not latched)
Thanks
Andrew
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2007 at 1:48 PM / IP Logged  

There are many ways to do this building a circuit yourself but there is a part available from Directed Electronics (DEI) that will do this cheaply, reliably and best of all EASILY.

Get a 528t pulse timer .    

It is an adjustable timer-controlled 30-amp SPDT relay (Single Pole Double Throw). The timer is adjustable from 0 – 90 seconds.You can activate it with either a (+) trigger input or with a (-) trigger input. You can set it to extend the one second pulse to five seconds with no difficulty, its done with a small dial on the unit.  It can be wired to put out a +,- or open a circuit...pretty cool piece.

If you don't know where to get one just google "DEI 528t pulse timer" and I am sure a ton of places to send you one will come up.

Hope I helped.

hotwaterwizard 
Silver - Posts: 1,350
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2007 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  
1 sec mom input to 5 sec mom output -- posted image.
John DeRosa (Hotwaterwizard)
Stockton California
When in doubt, try it out !
aussieandrew 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2007 at 5:55 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks both for assistance.
I have found a supplier here in Aus for the 528t for AU$43 dollars (not quite as cheap as you can get in the US).
I may have most of the bits except relay for option 2, but will need to go through all my old electronic gear.
Thanks & best wishes to you both
Andrew

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic