icon

necessity of hood pin wire

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
csnut18 
Copper - Posts: 196
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2007 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  

Hi I would like to know if a hoodpin wire in a remote start system is left aside and not connected, would the remote start system still work? I know this is not the proper way to do things but hypothetically what would happen?

Thank you and if this is a repeat topic I apologize

ringojam 
Copper - Posts: 215
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2007 at 4:25 PM / IP Logged  
Yes it would work but not advised,it is there for a reason ,it only takes a few min to install so put it in necessity of hood pin wire -- posted image.
Jamaica home of the worlds fastest man.
brhaugen 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2007 at 4:35 PM / IP Logged  
Your do not NEED the hood pin - but for safety.....
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2007 at 4:37 PM / IP Logged  
brhaugen wrote:
Your do not NEED the hood pin - but for safety.....
Hence you NEED it. Do it right.
necessity of hood pin wire -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
csnut18 
Copper - Posts: 196
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2007 at 4:40 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you for the quick responses, I really appreciate it
green6767 
Copper - Posts: 209
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2007 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  
Everybody will have their own opinion on this topic. But like other said, it is for safety and most do install them. Most remote starter system will function fine without em or grounding the wire or whatever. For the AstroStarts....I dont normally install them. WHY? Because it has an on/off switch that I always mount where the customer knows where it is and what it does. Again, this is a debatable topic, but I hope these responses have given you at least what you're looking for. Good Luck.
Shaun, we are the same height, that is neat!
12V Installation Technician for Honda, Dodge, Chrysler, Toyota and Jeep.
mikvot 
Gold - Posts: 1,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2007 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  
Ha, we all know how customers retain the info we tell them.
brcidd 
Copper - Posts: 274
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2007 at 7:41 AM / IP Logged  

From engineering design standards- something wired for safety should be "fail-safe" most hoodpins must "see a ground" to disable the start command--- This is bad designing-- they should "see- a ground" to enable starting- the pin should be grounding when the hood is shut- not the other way around.  Heck- a broken wire on a safety circuit in this case allows the engine to start.....bad news....

But I know why they don't design it this way-- corrosion and the lack of a good inexpensive method to control- mercury switches are good- but again- if the wire breaks- it will still start.  Think of all the comebacks you would have it the switch "had" to work--- so basically- the switch is a token attempt to satisfy the safety needs of the product- put them in and you have done what the manufacturer has asked- and you are no longer liable- end of story....

Brcidd - Engineer That Does Remote Starter Installs on the side.
kcfitz78 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2007 at 8:03 AM / IP Logged  

Also keep in mind any maintenanc done to the car, you are always to disconnect the neg battery cable. All repair manuals include this as a step in repair.

thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2007 at 10:38 AM / IP Logged  
Unfortunately, there is no fail safe hood pin for stupidly and no cost effective way at the moment to make it last the entire winter. A well place hood pin does not take a few minutes to install either. A well place hood pin is just a two week safety device that serves no purpose afterward until you scrape the corrosion away. So put it in anyway so that you will have a piece of mind that everyone will be safe for a few days and you rest well at night.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.necessity of hood pin wire -- posted image.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic