icon

Factory Auto starters from GM?!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
NismaX 
Copper - Posts: 104
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2003 at 11:33 PM / IP Logged  

Well it looks like it is finally starting (no pun intended).  One of my friends just pointed out an article on GM putting in factory installed autostarters.  It figures!  Some of us installers make a good portion of their profits for the year on installing these.  Myself included!  Sometimes I feel that amassing such knowlege is useless.  Just when you get to understand just about everything about certain vehicles you find out that your no longer needed.  So far I haven't seen what the price would be yet.  One can only hope it will be more expensive than having one installed at your local electronics shop.  Oh well what can we do?  I guess when all is said and done I can stand on the street corner and sell pencils!

Jon
tech_advice 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2003 at 4:34 PM / IP Logged  
If they're anything like the one Ford has, the price is completely ridiculous, I can install a starter on an f-150 for around $260.00(CDN), in about an hour, their's is around $550.00 and it takes the dealer around 4 hours(plug n play my ass,haha)....GM may be able to compete with Ford, but they won't be able to compete with the general electronics shop...and besides, who will they have to blame their electrical problems on if they install their own...lol...
Don't share too many install secrets with your customers, pretty soon they won't need you!!!!!
Player69 
Silver - Posts: 504
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2003 at 5:10 PM / IP Logged  
And the ford ones are GARBAGE!
NismaX 
Copper - Posts: 104
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2003 at 7:18 PM / IP Logged  
Well your right on that respect.  They (dealers) love to blame the vehicles problems on us.  My customers are smarter than that though.  So far nobody has believed it when a dealer tells the customer it is the autostarter's fault.  Some of my customers want me to try to trouble shoot the vehicle since I usually have a better understanding of what makes the vehicle electronics work.   Well maybe the GM autostarters will be crap and we can still make a living.
Jon
Player69 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2003 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  
Knowing GM it will be $1000.  I priced out a new duramax diesel the other day and I wanted it fully loaded.  They want $1700 for lcd and dvd player.  With the remote start they should be able to hit $60,000  Keep in mind i am in Canada.
audiomechanic 
Silver - Posts: 388
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2003 at 8:55 PM / IP Logged  

the problem that I see with the starters from GM will be the 10 minute run time and the 60ft of range....most of the aftermarket have at least a range of 150ft. and those are the cheap ones...I think that the aftermarket will always have the edge on the newest coolest thing in audio and features like starters, alarms and video....the car mfgrs are way to slow to put out what people want in a timely manner...so there will always be an aftermarket!!!!    installguy509

Mr_Fusion 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2003 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  

and don't forget that people that purchase used vehicles don't always get the remote that originally came with the car or truck...

Player69 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2003 at 10:41 PM / IP Logged  

I install a couple a week for the local Ford dealership so the ford ones must not be too popular Factory Auto starters from GM?! - Last Post -- posted image.  Their mechanics hate installing them and I do a WAY better job anyways.  Now factory would be a different story.  If they offer a good range remote start from factory with a nice remote that will impact me.  I would think it would probably take at least 5 years before you saw it on all models.  Look at on star, you still can't get it in all vehicles.  Same with cd players, they took a long time before they were available in everything.  I don't even think you could get a cd player in a 94 chev truck,  If you could they were few and far between.  Hell Cd's had already been out for 15 years at that time!  The point of my story?  Well GM moves slowly.  At least we can hope.Factory Auto starters from GM?! - Last Post -- posted image.

gmc4x4 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2003 at 11:22 PM / IP Logged  
Lincoln has an add on factory remote start, just the add on was like 400.00 My dad wanted to get that added to his vehicle, but i talked him into a full function RS system, that had a lot more featues with alot less price..
mikes581 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2003 at 7:59 PM / IP Logged  
{p}GM to make remote starter factory option.     ChicagoTribune  Nov. 11. 2002{/p}{p}     {/p}{P class=MsoNormal} {a class="fPost" href="http://www.chicagotribune.com/classified/automotive/columnists/chi-0211110022nov11,0,7233171.column" target="_blank"}http://www.chicagotribune.com/classified/automotive/columnists/chi-0211110022nov11,0,7233171.column{/A}.{/p}{P class=MsoNormal}    Mikes{/p}
Please do not copy and paste from a rich text editor like Microsoft Word. Please copy and paste from a plain text editor like Notepad.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic