icon

2004 ford expedition, amp, woofers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
l tellis 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2007 at 8:15 AM / IP Logged  
I am trying to install a amp and 2 12" subwoofers to a 2004 ford expedition but I want to leave in the factory head unit. Is this a big problem or relatively easy? How would I run the RCA jacks for the amp audio inputs, and where is the best place to hide the amp if i want to be able to take the woofers out of the car for use of the rear seat?
New installer trying showcase my tallents.
warpedimage3 
Copper - Posts: 90
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2007 at 8:49 AM / IP Logged  
you can easily run RCA's by using a line out converter. Take the factory radio out, tap into the high level outputs with the line out converter then plug in your RCA cables and your done.
l tellis 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2007 at 9:07 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks.
l tellis 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2007 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  

I have a 2004 ford expedition and I am trying to add a amp and subs. I cannott find a space to run the power cable from  the interior to the battery.  also if i change the head unit will the delayed shut off (on until the door opens) still work? Is there a wire inside the vehicle under the dash to tap into with the amp power wire instead of under the hood.

swerve 
Copper - Posts: 149
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2007 at 7:09 PM / IP Logged  

you should have plenty of space to drill a hole in the firewall to route your power wire, look to the right of the brake booster under the hood for ideas, you should get your power straight from the battery. amplifiers can draw more current then most electronics in your vehicle. any power source you find under the dash may not be able to support the current draw of your amp and may cause problems down the road.

for the amp placement it all depends on how big the amp is. do you have power or manual seats? manual seats usually give more space for amp placement underneath them. ive also been able to cram them under power ones too so it all depends on how big the amp is. you might also consider mounting them under the second row seating.

i cant remember if u can still retain the delayed shutoff feature or not when you replace the deck. you could try testing the ignition wire for the radio and see if it stays on when the doors are closed. if it turns off when you turn the ignition off then its a no go for that feature. good luck

git yer swerve on!
dacajunboy 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2007 at 1:31 PM / IP Logged  

The delay will still work with aftermarket head units, so long as you don't mess with any of the relays.  If you use the OEM harness and an adapter the new unit  will work fine.

Also, you don't have to run the power cable for the amp through the fire wall and hide it under 4 feet or more of carpet. I'll bet somewhere under the body, between the front and rear seats you can find a rubber or plastic plug already there.  Often the factory drills multiple holes in the bottom of the body for different seat configurations or other optional equipment and then plugs the holes that aren't used.  I prefer to run the wire under the body or inside the frame rails from the plug closest to the amp location all the way to the engine compartment.  Obviously, be careful and pay attention not to run the wire were it will get damaged or over heated.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic