icon

1993 saturn sl2 alarm, door locks

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
extremesaturn74 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2007 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 1993 Saturn sl2 (4 door).  My car has manual locks and i want to convert them to power locks. i just purchased a full function security system with the power door lock conversion, includes the remotes, siren, all wiring, and the actuators to make my manual locks into power. Has anyone done this and can anyone help me add power locks? thanks for any help.
chiqui_draculin 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2007 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  
Its not specific to your car, but its really helpful. http://www.miata.net/garage/pwrlock.htm
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2007 at 9:32 PM / IP Logged  
The SL2 will be the strangest powerlock install you have ever seen. I've done dozens, not a simple install. If you remove the door panel you will notice there is absolutely no way to reach any lock or window mechanics, it's a solid sheet of steel. What you do is remove the mirror and door handle(there's a clip on on side) and remove all the Torx screws all the way around the door on the inside edge. Next you lift and remove the entire outer skin of the door. This will revel the mechanics of the locks. You now install the actuators from the outside of the car. Running wires is a little tough but not too bad. It's been a while since i've done one, but it's an all day job on a 4 door...
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
extremesaturn74 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2007 at 1:43 PM / IP Logged  
Ok peeps, I just bought an alarm system for my car. Its a 1993 Saturn SL2 and right now it has manual locks, so I bought an alarm with power door lock actuators to convert it from manual to power. On the actuators it has 2 wires a blue wire and a green wire. Where do i connect these wires? Do I need relays? Im totally confused.
airwolf 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2007 at 2:38 PM / IP Logged  

There are some alarms thats come with the power door lock relays build inside the alarm brain and there are other alarms that only come with 2 wires output for the door lock pulses.

Let me know your alarm brand and model in order to expalin you better how to wire the door locks.

Isaac

extremesaturn74 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2007 at 4:37 PM / IP Logged  
I have a alarm but the siren is not loud enough and only one tone. I was wondering if there is a way to conect the siren wire to the stock horn. I have a 1993 saturn sl2 if that helps.
ZipPhReaK 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2007 at 4:50 PM / IP Logged  
Most definetly there is a way! If your particular alarm/rs unit does not support a negative output for a horn then you can simply use a relay to convert the output (positive to negative) for your purpose. (any basic 5-pin 12v automotive relay will do, most common are 30/40amp in automotive apps)
Here's how to wire it up:
85 GND
86 + Siren wire from alarm/rs unit
87a (not needed)
87 GND
30 Horn Wire from car
This way when the siren output on the brain is activated, it latches the coil on the relay, and gives the horn wire a toot from GND :)
extremesaturn74 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2007 at 5:19 PM / IP Logged  
ok thanks. also im having trouble with my wire for the doors. i have 2 wires on the alarm for the doors (interior light) one is blue and one is green (+ and -) i tried to connect each wire one at a time to the fuse box but its not working correctly. can you guide me through this as well?
ZipPhReaK 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2007 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  
Those wires you mentioned are probably the door pin trigger wires for the alarm unit to sensor an open door. You need to find your door pin wires in your car, figure out what polarity they are, how many their are (sometimes theirs multiple wires, for ex. one that catch the front and a separate that catches the rear doors). If there are multiple ones then you need to diode isolate them into the trigger input on the alarm with some standard blocking diodes (1n400x work well).
extremesaturn74 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2007 at 6:00 PM / IP Logged  
thanks again. i tried the relay for the horn and it still does not work. am i suppose the cut the horn wire? I can hear the relay click but no horn. I went straight to the horn under the hood. is that correct? what else can i try or am i just SOL??
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic