the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

melted fuse issue

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jaurora 
Silver - Posts: 429
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2007 at 8:47 AM / IP Logged  

Well went to remote start my truck (I have the 791XV) and the remote beeped but the truck did not start. I figured that this was very starnge and possibly my battery was dead from me leaving a light on or something. Went out and started it with the key and no problems. The alarm nor remote start worked.

So I figured the first ting to do is check the fuse, low and behold one of the fuses for the constant 12 volt source was melted on one side only. The fuse was not blown. I do not remember what size fuse it was but it was green (20A). The weird thing is I installed this system over 2 years ago and this is the first time I had this problem.

The only thing that I can think of for the fuse to melt to the holder (on one side) and not blow was that the connection between the fuse leg and the fuse holder was somewhat intermitant.

Ideas?

Thanks

MECP certified (If it really means anything)
Jeremy
ghost_rider 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2007 at 10:41 AM / IP Logged  

Is the fuse is loose on the fuse holder it will create resistance to the current to flow making the fuse holder to overheat and this cause the plastic fuse holder to get melted.

Another thing is that maybe the wire is to thin and you need a thicker AWG wire in order to supply more current.

My recomendation is to install a good quality fuse holder with a new fuse and check if when you start your engine via remote control you fill with your fingers if the fuse holder get hot.

Ghost Rider

jaurora 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2007 at 10:45 AM / IP Logged  

It has nothing to do with the AWG of the wire. It is the 12AWG with the supplied fuse holder that is attached to all the DEI systems.

Well we will see on my lunch break what we can do.

Thanks

Jeremy
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 13, 2007 at 6:13 PM / IP Logged  
Is it a Dodge perhaps? You do not mention what make/model/year truck you have, but I have heard recently of Dodges pulling an excessive amount of current which could indeed cause your melting fuse holder problem.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
splaudio 
Copper - Posts: 237
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2007 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  
a green fuse is 30 amp yellow is 20 amp. ya i would say loose conection in the fuseholder...
jaurora 
Posted: February 14, 2007 at 7:10 AM / IP Logged  

Ha 12 voltz.

You hit the nail on the head. It is an 02 Ram 1500. Good call!! Perhaps it was a build up over time that caused the melting.

I had time to inspect it and it seemed to be a faulty fuse holder. For some reason the one leg of the fuse holder that melted did not grasp the leg of the fuse that tightly. Now if this had anything to do with it I am not sure but is sounds logical (I think). I replaced the fuse holder along with a new fuse and we are now back in business.

Thanks guys for the input as this was somthing I have never seen before.

Jeremy
jim hunter 
Silver - Posts: 351
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2007 at 7:53 AM / IP Logged  
d.e.i. units are notorius for this, the 30 amp fuse that controls the heater/starter output is the fuse that melts, i personally have seen it on all brands of cars when the heaters blower motor is left on high i believe it draws more current than the cheap little fuse holder can accept therefore it melts, i usually just replace with a good quality fuse holder and advise the customer to have the blower motor at least a notch below highest setting, and have never had one come back after this
jaurora 
Posted: February 14, 2007 at 7:56 AM / IP Logged  
Good to know!!
Jeremy
splaudio 
Copper - Posts: 237
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2007 at 9:29 AM / IP Logged  

ya but most customers dont even read the manual let alone will only turn there heater to med when it goes to high.  dei need to be notified of this problem so they can fix it. because if there is a fire cause by this it is dei responcibility to cover damages.

glad ya got it fixed...

vitrox 
Copper - Posts: 96
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2007 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  
really though, on all 02-05 dodge trucks you need to build a relay to power up the blower.  I have replaced a countless # of fuse holders because of this same issue.  The same applies to a list of other vehicle too.  Its quite a LONG list though.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic