icon

bad magnetic sensor?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
j12v 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2007 at 2:41 AM / IP Logged  

Just wondering if anyone ever came across one before. Reason being is Im going to attempt to install one underneath my shifter so I can install a remote start and hooking up the hoodpin switch to it. So if the car was in gear, the system would see that the hood is open preventing it from starting.

If anyone disagree's with this idea, please tell me.

TIA

master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2007 at 2:19 PM / IP Logged  

A magnetic sensor has no moving parts hence...should be very reliable. However, since this is a safety issue the installation is critical.

For the remote start to recognize the hood is open a ground is sent to the (-) shutdown wire. So to simulate this with the shifter you will need to position a sensor in a fashion that it removes the ground when in neutral. Use a normally closed (N/C) type and connect one wire to ground..the other to the RS negative shutdown. When the shifter is in neutral line it up carefully so it will open the contact and take away the ground..allowing remote start. Use this inconjucntion with a switch to the brake (must be set to start) and it would not hurt to have a motion sensor as well just as a back up. Have the motion sensor send a neg. to the same shutdown wire so it will shut it down if the vehicle moves.

IMO a safer bet is to use a remote start system designed for a manual trans..they do make them but if you insist on doing it with a unit not designed you always have the risk of the vehicle starting in gear..well no need to tell you what can happen then...can you say "lawsuit?"

j12v 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2007 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  

The magnetic sensor that I have does have the n/c option, and what you just described was the idea I planned on attempting to do. I remember  buying it off eBay, being a DEI magnetic sensor, but now where on it says its part number.

The remote start systems that have manual safe features are not really manual safe. At least the ones that Ive seen. Does DEI or Crimestopper make them? The ones that say theyre manual safe just have an extra input for the parking brake which supposedly makes the system 'safe' but we all know it just isnt.

Blah, maybe I'll just save the sensor for some other use. Though having a manual vehicle with remote start would be very cool, it just isnt worth the 'lawsuit' and besides... I keep forgetting Im getting rid of this vehicle soon :P

concepts99 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2007 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  
The manual remote starts requires you to put the car in turbo mode and then arm the alarm. Since the car is armed and running, it knows it is not in gear. Thats how it works. It will then start the next time. Without the procedure, it will not start.
j12v 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2007 at 2:41 AM / IP Logged  

Sounds nice, but I'd rather have the remote start without that feature.

master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2007 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged  

If a remote start is truly designed to be manual safe it had better be. If there was ever a mishap that would clearly take the liability off the installer and put it onto the product manufacturer..assuming of course it was properly installed. Any other method puts the liability on the installer..even if waivers are signed etc...the lawyers will always do what it takes to determine why the vehicle took off by itself..and then who was responsible. 

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 16, 2007 at 1:19 PM / IP Logged  

I had a magnetic switch installed on my shift linkage years ago.  I chose the linkage because it only moves forward and backwards, as opposed to the shifter rod itself which moves left to right and front to back.

It worked great when it worked.  Then, one night, I was walking out the back of a house and remote started my car.  It was in reverse and for some reason it started up and back itself in to a big truck that was right behind my car (12" max).  It didn't leave a mark on his truck, but his front tow hook put a hole in my plastic bumper.

I never had another problem with the magnets, they worked every time but that time.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that no matter how hard you try it is still possible for the system to fail.

My 'other' idea was to use IR light to detect when the shifter is in the N position.  I built the circuit, but never actually installed it.

Kevin Pierson
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2007 at 2:32 PM / IP Logged  

Yep..now imagine if some old lady was crossing the street and was standing between the vehicles when the RS caused it to move.

In the past they actually used to make an ir system for this but I still wouldn't trust it personally.

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 16, 2007 at 2:53 PM / IP Logged  
That would have been very unfortunate.  My insurance company probably wouldn't have liked that too much!
Kevin Pierson
youngblood 
Copper - Posts: 77
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2007 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  
I think that you have better things to do than trying to make a product designed to be safe work in a manner in which is was not intended. If you want to install a remote start in a vehicle that utilizes a manual transmission, then use the product intended. Don't find ways to make a square peg fit in a round hole, go get a round peg.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic