icon

unusual whining noise

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rjp9602@cox.net 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2007 at 6:49 AM / IP Logged  
My origional system was blown when a ground was shorted out. I replaced the origional amp (65x4 RMS Pioneer) that had blow, with a new one (Kicker 120x4)in the smae location. I am now getting terrible noises. I have tried many things and put hours into this instillation. The power cable is ran down the drivers side, and the remote/speaker wires are on the passengers side, amp under passenger seat. When i heard the noises, I thought possibly the head unit was blow, so i replaced that as well, the noise continued, only when the engine is on of course. In trouble shooting, i ran speaker wires directly to the amp, and it cut out some noise, but not all. Then i pulled all of the rca cables out of the car, and replaced them with standard speaker wires. This made the noise go away a little more, but it is still there. I have connected a battery opperated mp3 player directly to the amp, and it plays clearly, so i know the amp is working properly. I have also tried running cables from the stereo directly back to the battery, bypassing the harness, and still nothing. I have no computer in my car, and it is a 93 full size 2 door chevrolet blazer. I am just not sure what else can be done.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2007 at 8:23 AM / IP Logged  

Read the grounding sticky posts.  You need to improve the ground connections on both your amp and your head unit.  And if your HU is a Pioneer, you may need to replace it with a different brand.

BTW, what do you mean by "a ground was shorted out" and you "blew" your amp?  What exactly happened?

Support the12volt.com
rjp9602@cox.net 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2007 at 11:45 AM / IP Logged  
I have 2 amps in the truck, the first is to power the speakers (2 6x9 eclipse 4 ways, 2 boston acoustics 4x6 2 ways, and 2 sony xplode 6in.)  I have another mono channel amp bazooka  owering 2 bazooka 12s. I tightening a speaker wire on the bazooka amp, and it touched the ground coming from the seat.  It then shut the entire truck down, and my 4 channel amp, which i was not even touching blew, or stopped functioning ( it would come on, and just make a loud clicking noise about every 2 seconds.  The head unit also blew, so i replaced them both.  New amp, a kicker as mentioned, new head unit was a pioneer 4x50 watt.  Thats how everthing started.  I have done a lot to ensure that the ground is perfect.  I added a 4 gauge wire directly to the amp from the battery as troubleshooting.   THis made no difference, so i used that 4 gauge wire directly to the headunit, still nothing.  I also tried this using the positive charge to both the amp and the hu, and still nothing.  I dont know what else to do.  Is there anything else i should try?Thanks.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2007 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  
As DYohn said, try a different BRAND of head. Pioneers are NOTORIOUS for noisy, crappy ground planes within their head units. I bet that if you find a different brand of head, your noise will go away immediately.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
rjp9602@cox.net 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2007 at 1:45 PM / IP Logged  
Could this really make enough difference for the sound to be unclear, or are yall just bias against pioneer brand.  I admit its not my favorite, but i would perfer not to purchase an entire new head unit if that it not the actual problem.  I have had good experience with my pioneer headunits in the past, I want to fix the problem, not cover it up.  If pioneer is really that bad, i am willing to replace it.
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2007 at 3:18 PM / IP Logged  
I'm not biased against any brand.  I just know that Pioneer has quality issues with the ground planes in their heads and it exhibits as uncontrollable alternator whine.  Simple as that.
Support the12volt.com
rjp9602@cox.net 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2007 at 6:06 PM / IP Logged  
Okay, today, i ran wires directly from the battery to the head unit, both positive and negative, Did nothing. I also tried going rca cables, across seats to amp, still nothing. I know the amp is cable of playing clear music, i used the mp3 player. I am completly leaning towards ground loop. You all say that its the brand head unit, which i believe could be true. I am jsut suspicious, because i have had 2 pioneer head units in the past, which niether had any trouble with noise. Do i need to run a ground cable directly to the amp. The amp is powered with 8 gauge wire now. The rear amp is grounded to the rear seat bolt.
DYohn 
Posted: February 14, 2007 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged  

rjp9602@cox.net wrote:
The rear amp is grounded to the rear seat bolt.

This is not generally a good location as seat bolts are made from hardened steel and often screwed into nuts that are welded to the unibody.  Have you measured your ground return resistance?  If it's greater than an ohm it is a bad ground.

I still think you have a defective head unit.  This issue effects probably 25% of all Pioneer heads.  It is very common.  Connect a ground wire to the outter ring of the RCA cable and see what happens.  If the noise changes, it's a defective head unit (or a very poor ground connection).

Support the12volt.com
rjp9602@cox.net 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2007 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  
Okay, i will try that, what if i am not using rca cables, does that still apply. I have the truck wired through speaker wires that are spliced into the harness. I am running the rca cables as test over the seats. Should i ground out all of the rca cable sheildings, or just one of them, and also do i need to do it nearest the hu or amp. I have tried 4 different pioneer headunits, and they have all made the same sound.
DYohn 
Posted: February 14, 2007 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  
What do you mean you are using speaker wires spliced into the harness?  How are you connecting the head unit to the amps?
Support the12volt.com
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic