the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

unusual whining noise

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2007 at 4:08 PM / IP Logged  

xtremej wrote:
you mean 3 rca out puts? they are in pairs left/right. Not to hurt feelings here but IMO you should take this vehicle to a professional and have the stereo system re-wired. I have read these posts and it seems to me your are like a dog chasing his tail. Before you kill anymore amps or cd players I would spend the money and have someone that does car audio for a living figure it out.

I agree.  Time for help.

Support the12volt.com
lspker 
Silver - Posts: 503
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2007 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  

I did quite understand, you shorted a speaker wire to ground and the truck shut off?

There would have been some serious sparks flying to do that.  Suggest you set your multi meter to ac and check voltage at the amp with truck running.  If you find about 36 v ac you blew a diode out of the alternator, just bad enough for the amp to pick it up.

rjp9602@cox.net 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2007 at 7:31 AM / IP Logged  
Alright, i have an update on the issue. Yesterday, i connected the power and ground and the acc cables to another vechicle, and it still made the whining noise, except it made the noises from the other vehicle. Does this mean anything. Today i am going to go and buy a different brand head unit, what do you all reccomend as the best for noise elimination>?
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2007 at 7:36 AM / IP Logged  
Like I said, you need to take your car to a shop and have the electrical system checked out to make sure there is no damage before you proceed.  Please. 
Support the12volt.com
rjp9602@cox.net 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2007 at 7:53 AM / IP Logged  
Could you just tell me what brand is the best for noise, i really cannot afford to bring it to an electronics store and have it done, that will cost upwards from 200 bucks.
DYohn 
Posted: February 17, 2007 at 8:09 AM / IP Logged  

Eclipse.  And please also install your system properly: improve your amp grounds, don't use seat bolts.  Drill a proper ground connection (read the grounding stickies.)  Use RCA cables not high-level speaker inputs.  Set your gain properly.  Make sure nothing can possibly ground out.  And when the noise is still there with your new head unit, take the car to a shop and get it fixed.

Support the12volt.com
rjp9602@cox.net 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2007 at 8:16 AM / IP Logged  
Eclipse seams to be a little out of my range, i would have to get the cheapest one, and it doesnt have aux inputs or a remote. Is there a nother choise, possibly alpine? There is a nearbye alpine dealer.
duct tape 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2007 at 9:16 AM / IP Logged  

rjp9602@cox.net wrote:
Eclipse seams to be a little out of my range, i would have to get the cheapest one, and it doesnt have aux inputs or a remote. Is there a nother choise, possibly alpine? There is a nearbye alpine dealer.

you could buy the best head unit on the market and it will not fix your installation issues.   how is it that you are willing to buy a new head unit, but you wont spend money to have a professional troubleshoot and fix the installation? 

xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2007 at 9:28 AM / IP Logged  
Spend the 200 bucks, if you fry a $200 cd player because your wiring is hideous I guarnatee that the shop that sells it will void your warranty. Trust me I see this all the time when folks are trying to save a few bucks and it ends up costing them more than just getting it done by a audio installer to begin with. Pioneer is the only one to avoid currently out of the better name brands. If your looking for something affodable that sounds decent, look into kenwood, jvc, clarion, and am sure others can add to this list.
jjermzz 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2007 at 2:58 PM / IP Logged  

Tape the RCA jacks. Easiest and less time consuming.

They might be touching. I work at BestBuy car audio. Some Kid from Verizon ask "my system is making a whining noise?" All I remember he has 2 alpine Type-R.

I told him the electromagnetic field (EMF) spiel could carry thru RCA if any power(even the cars harness can produces EMF) and rca are ran together. Then I told him about bad ground. I told him first tape the RCA jack. Even if they are not touching you still got EMF.

What happened? Two weeks later, saw him at work, no more noise. Electrical tape around all the RCA jacks. He was happy.

If you get a new deck grab one with 4volt pre-out like some Kenwoods. They create less distortion.

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic