icon

1 ohm woofer config with a 4 ohm amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
quengap 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2007 at 9:20 AM / IP Logged  

My question is simple, but I'm not sure of the answer.

Configuration: 1 Alpine 4ohm mono amp/2 Kicker 12" 4 ohm woofers, wired in series/parrallel to 1ohm.

What would be the short term effects and long term effects of amp and speakers (2) if the top configuration was left in place? Would the amp eventually blow? Would the speakers eventually blow?

Thanks in advance...

CW3 Patrick M. Quenga
251A/US Army Computer Engineer
Darmstadt, Germany
wotugot4me 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2007 at 9:30 AM / IP Logged  

Do you know what the model of the amp is,  unless im reading it wrong, is it 2 subs, with dual voice coils, 4 ohms per coil? is so the series/parallel would give you 4 ohms

Assuming you are running a 1 ohm load on a amp that is only designed for a 4 ohm load id imagine that the amp would go into protection mode.  If not then yes it would probably soon fry them amp.  The speakers should be ok unless they are receiving a clipped signal or being extremely over powered, id imagine the amp would go first though.

quengap 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2007 at 10:56 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the quick response.

The amp is an Alpine MRP-M650, mono, 4 ohm amp. The speakers are DVC 4ohm speakers, each. I have them running in parallel/parallel, which this website is telling me that is a configuration for 1ohm (I love this website, so informative). I'm sorry earlier, I had it wrong, thought it was series/parallel which is what I should be at.

So they are in parallel/parallel 4ohm DVC speakers, which is 1ohm.

I need to go change my config NOW! to series/paralle. Thanks wotugot4me!

CW3 Patrick M. Quenga
Darmstadt, Germany
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 14, 2007 at 11:13 AM / IP Logged  
Well...running that amp at 1 ohm can either...keep shutting down because of low impedance or eventually fry it
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2007 at 3:38 AM / IP Logged  

Since it's Mono, and namebrand, shouldn't the amp be able to go down to 2Ohms if not 1?

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
quengap 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2007 at 3:48 AM / IP Logged  

Yes, the Alpine will operate at 2ohm, but not at 1ohm. I read the instruction manual that Alpine had online, and it stated the amp will operate at 4ohm and 2ohm, in which the 2ohm operating mode puts out more power (of course), but runs hotter.

So I just wired my speakers to a 4ohm configuration and left them at 4ohm, being that the amp had a 4 ohm and 2 ohm setting. I would rather be safe than spending more money later for a new amp (if it did run hot and eventually crap out).

CW3 Patrick M. Quenga
Darmstadt, Germany
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2007 at 4:31 AM / IP Logged  
Trust me. Its an Alpine. It can easily go down to 2Ohms. Maybe a little hotter, bu that's of no concern -as long as the amp is right-side-up as to allow proper cooling. I would wire the subs parallel only using one voice  coil each. This would draw a 2Ohm load. The Kickers should handle the power no prob. I've got 2 KickerComp(not VR) 10's getting about 250wrms each. More than 'recommended', but much clearer- perfectly fine as long as the amp is not clipping, or distorting.
2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
quengap 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2007 at 5:06 AM / IP Logged  
OK thanks! I'll check into the wiring and see how it sounds. I know when I had it wired at 1ohm they did sound way louder. I'll have to play around some more, but thanks for the advice! I'll start messing around with it this weekend.
CW3 Patrick M. Quenga
Darmstadt, Germany
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 23, 2007 at 8:12 AM / IP Logged  

RMS Power (at 14.4V THD+N, 20Hz-20kHz)

Per channel into 4 ohms: 400W x 1 (0.08% THD)
Per channel into 2 ohms: 600W x 1

Heres the specs from the Alpine web site.

1ohm= fried eggs.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic