icon

03 silverado w/bose problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
duxndogs44 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2007 at 1:38 PM / IP Logged  

New here and hope this is in the right spot. I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado, ex-cab with an AM/FM/CD/Cass head with RDS and the Bose system, the truck also has On-Star. Few weeks ago I got in and the radio appeared to be working fine but no sound, next stop I get back in and its working again. This happened a few more times (getting in and out of truck has no effect) and now the sound is completely gone. First I checked all the fuses, then I checked the connection in back of the head unit, next I got the wire color codes and put a 9V battery across each set of speaker leads...nothing??? Dealer wants min $100 just to trouble shoot but says its usually the head unit which is $1100 new and between $400-$600 rebuilt. Local audio shops have no interest in fixing it, just want to replace which I would agree to do except I'll probably only have the truck another 6-8 months and after I buy a deck, an adapter kit, an on-star module, a door chime module, a steering wheel controls module, etc, etc I'm quickly over the $400 mark for a rebuilt. Any tips on how to determine if its the head unit, an amp or could the On-star have everything shut out? Will a replacement head just plug and play or will I have to get it programed? Oh yeah, doubt this has anything to do with it but a few weeks before the sound trouble, half of the preset lights went out, dealer told me only way to fix it was repair the deck (+/-$300). This car audio stuff has changed A LOT in the 25 years since I use to tinker with it.

Thanks for any advice

Doc
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 14, 2007 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  
it may just need a software update....03-up are SPS units and can be updated via the tech II.... one of the software updates is for "no audio"
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2007 at 2:05 PM / IP Logged  

Your vehicle does have a seperate amp..however it is difficult to tell you if this problem is the deck or amp without further investigation. If you do not have another deck to plug in one way to check is to power up the remote wire at the dash..then when you tap a battery onto the speaker wire you will hear the pop at the speakers..if not it should be safe to assume the amp is bad.

And correct...if you want to retain the RAP, onstar, door chime , steering wheel controls etc. you will be in it a couple of hundred bills just for those parts..plus kit and antenna adaptor.

Best of luck

duxndogs44 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2007 at 9:54 AM / IP Logged  
Can you tell me where to find a wiring diagram for the amp so I can power up the amp and see which is bad, the amp or head unit. I've heard its the pink wire but there are two pink wires, one on the main plug and one on a second plug beside the main radio plug (pink wire and orange wire) I've bought 3 repair manuals from local auto stores and ordered schematics offline and none show an amp, a 2nd plug or pink wires??
Doc
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2007 at 12:46 PM / IP Logged  
All my soruces state pink for amp remote on that vehicle..however I cannot find a pinout to tell me which one. However if the deck still powers up simply use a DMM. With the deck plugged in see which pink gets 12v+ when you turn the deck on. BTW repair manuals from autoparts stores are generally useless with audio system wiring..especially on late model vehicles..you would need a FSM for a real schematic. Good Luck
duxndogs44 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2007 at 10:28 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks Master5, had time to dig into it tonight and found that the problem was the amp. Do you recommend finding a used one, having this one rebuilt or can I replace it with an after market amp.
Doc
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2007 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  

I would send the amp out for a repair estimate. If the quote is too high start diggin through the junk yards, ebay etc.

If you choose to use an aftermarket amp as a replacement most likely the deck will need to be replaced also, I am not sure about compatibility.

macaholic 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2007 at 10:35 AM / IP Logged  
I have an 06 Silverado that I'm replacing the stock bose amp with a JL audio amp, what's your offer?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic