icon

2001 gmc sierra key fob

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
turbob1 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2007 at 7:15 PM / IP Logged  
I have just joined your forum and have already found a few answers to some of the questions i had by searching. I have done a search for this topic and have not found anything that really gives me an answer, so I appreciate all input.
Now my current problem is with a non functioning keyless entry system. The truck info is: 2001 GMC Sierra EC SLT. Last friday evening i headed out to unlock my truck using the key fob and had no luck, this was the first time i have had this problem with this particular key fob. I have no other key fob to test with so i went with installing a new battery and re-syncing the remote to the truck. I had no luck with that and continued to set the truck in program mode per the directions from GM, and had no luck with that either, it seemed as though the truck did not recognize the key fob was trying to sync up with it. The truck would go into program mode with a lock/unlock of the doors as a signal, i would hold the lock and unlock pads on the key fob and within 5 seconds of this process the truck would go out of program mode with a lock/unlock cycle. The instructions for this process indicate that the time required is normally 15 seconds. I proceeded to check the keyfob for continuity with the buttons pressed using a multimeter and the correct traces on the fob circuit board. This test showed that the fob had the correct continuity when the correct button was pressed.
I have come to the conclusion that the fob is functioning correctly and that either the Infrared Receiver in the truck or the Body Control Module has a fault somewhere. I have also checked and replaced any blown fuses in the interior and exterior fuse boxes. Is it possible to check the BCM for codes of a faulty IR receiver, and if so how would i go about doing this. Anything that i may have missed in my trouble shooting process? Please let me know, Thank you for all your help. Also, is the Tech 2 scanner a dealer only item that one cannot purchase?
Hymer 
Silver - Posts: 695
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2007 at 8:49 AM / IP Logged  
I hink a good scan tool wil check the functions of the BCM, I don't think it will do anything ans far as the rf functions go. It may just show the state of the bcm being locked or unlocked. I would just add an aftermarket keyless setup. Lt blue wire locks White unlocks. at the BCM brown plug, or the at the relays in the fuse box, both are positive triggers. Real easy to add keyless and a heckuva lot cheaper than a new BCM or keyless module.
Tire Proz Stillwater Mn
High End Restyling and Comlete Repair

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic