icon

do i need a capacitor

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cm26484 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2007 at 9:47 PM / IP Logged  
i have 2 kicker 06cvx12-4 wired to a kicker sx1250.1 @1ohm. will i need a capacitor for this setup, or will my battery be able to handle the load, i do not play my music loud all the time, but when i want to show ppl up, i crank it.
jonathancullen 
Silver - Posts: 282
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2007 at 11:30 PM / IP Logged  
caps are a waste of money, upgrade you big 3 and if you have a low output alternator look into buying a HO. if the amp draws more power then what your alternator can produce it will sound bad and will not get as loud as it could being fully powered.
two 12" cadence TXW-12S, cadence TXA-3002 amplifier, 1990 toyota celica system 10 speakers
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 14, 2007 at 11:43 PM / IP Logged  
Like cullen said...upgrade your big three with atleast 4 gauge wire..bigger is better
What vehicle and alternator size do you have??
t-roy81 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2007 at 12:22 AM / IP Logged  
caps = pointless, your amp comes with all the caps you will need to get performance out of it inside of it
Oh Man Theres Troy
roo-dog 
Copper - Posts: 124
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2007 at 9:49 AM / IP Logged  
  an arguable question-  wire size to amp, and alternator size are first and foremost:  you cannot use power that you do not already have.  i, personally, almost always use caps; i can always hear a definite difference in the sound coming out of the subs- much tighter, cleaner bass.  plus, it will usually help eliminate, or at least reduce headlight and dashboard dimming ( now, i run a dual high output alternator setup, so that is no longer a problem for me.).  Battery (s)  help out, too, but you can only store so much power.  you can never have too large of power wire, too big of an alternator, or too many batteries/caps-in my opinion.  My stereo power supply setup:   dedicated 280 amp alternator (it also happens to dump out about 16 volts at cruising speed, 15.5 at idle),   (2)0-gauge power wire, to three optima blue top deep cycle batteries, then a 15 farad (to sub amps)+ a 5 farad alumapro cap (to highs amps).  i have got plenty of power!!!
(4)g5-1244, (4)gtr12, (2)ppipcx2400, (1)pcx4125, (1)pc4800.2, (3) pair mb quart 6.5"Q, (4)optimas, alumapro (1)5 and(1)15 farad cap, premier deh-p860mp, pioneer xm -dual H.O. alternators
cm26484 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2007 at 1:58 PM / IP Logged  
i have 0/1 guage to the amp power ground, and 10 gauge from amp to subs, vehicle is 03s10, unsure of my alt size, but i will look into it
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2007 at 3:12 PM / IP Logged  
If its a factory alt. your probably lookin around 110a. There is a lot of room for a h.o. alt of that s-10. Since you already have 0 gauge ran, finish out the big 3 upgrade, then move on to the h.o. alt. A cap is just another storage device, but you can't store what you aren't producing with the charging system that can't keep up.
swerve 
Copper - Posts: 149
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2007 at 4:21 PM / IP Logged  

caps are designed to oppose the change in voltage. they do this by storing a charge of electricity and discharging when the voltage drops past the input voltage to the cap. caps require a certain amount of time to charge, which are called time constants. when a cap discharges it needs five time constants to recharge. what this means is to use a cap to prevent voltage from dropping, the device has to allow five time constants to pass so the cap can be fully charged again.

The formula for 1 time constant is T=R x C where T is time in seconds, R is the caps resistance in ohms, and C is the capacitance in farads of the cap

the idea is to keep the voltage from changing right? well if the cap takes 5 times longer to charge then it does to discharge it isnt going to be able to keep the voltage constant because it has a recharge time to deal with. while the cap is trying to recharge the amp is still drawing power. so unless theres big delays in the bass, your not going to see much gains from having a cap installed.

git yer swerve on!
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 15, 2007 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged  
that is why caps don't work
cm26484 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2007 at 11:15 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for all of the information, does anyone have any reccomendations for a website where i can purchase a high output alt?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic