icon

4 ohm amp connected to a 4 ohm dvc

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
i_a_zombie 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2007 at 8:51 AM / IP Logged  
With a Soundstream PCW 12 the speaker wire terminals are quad. In other words there are 4 connectors on each voice coil (two positive and two negative) I am attempting to connect this one sub to a 4 Ohm load mono. The amp I am using is a Soundstream PCI 600 it runs 4 Ohm load mono when bridged and a 2 Ohm load stereo unbridged. I am unsure of how I should connect the voice coils to run off this load.
duct tape 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2007 at 9:47 AM / IP Logged  

the extra terminals on each side of the sub are there to make connecting multiple wires easier.  

that sub can be wired in series to create an 8 ohm load, or in parallel to create a 2 ohm load. 

the only safe way to connect the sub to that amp would be to wire the coils in series, then bridge it.   this  would be an 8 ohm bridged load, which would give you half of what the amp is rated at to a 4 ohm bridged load.

this sub is not a good match your your amp, you would be better off with either a 4 ohm sub, or a monoblock amp.

duct tape 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2007 at 9:56 AM / IP Logged  

when i looked up the sub, every link showed dual voice coil.  if its just a single 4 ohm coil, then just bridge it and you will be fine.

i_a_zombie 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2007 at 10:00 AM / IP Logged  
The sub is a dvc and is rated at 4 ohms.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2007 at 10:24 AM / IP Logged  

As stated above, you have a bad match and you will need to wire your woofer for an 8-ohm load and bridge the amp.  Or connect one VC to each amplifier channel, which is the same thing.

4 ohm amp connected to a 4 ohm dvc -- posted image.

Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic