icon

enough power for my 3000.1 massive audio

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sweetnessa 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2007 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged  
i need to know how much battery power i need for a massive audio dual mono block 3000.1 which is 3000 rms at 2 ohm bridged or 1500 rms at one ohm per channel . massiveaudio.com .i have a 150amp ho and i have 2 1000 cranking amp everstartmaxx batteries one up front one in back with the big 3 upgrade its all in a nissan altima 1997 .im planing to power one critical mass ul 12 sub, are they any good would it be better and louder than two 12 inch kicker l7 ?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2007 at 9:47 AM / IP Logged  
Are you looking for batteries to power the amp with the engine off?  Batteries have ampere-hour ratings specified something like 100 amp-hours @ 5 amps (as an example.)  This means it can sustain a 5-amp continuous draw for 20 hours (5 amps times 20 hours = 100 amp-hours.)  The cranking amps means nothing in terms of how long it will sustain a charge, it only indicates what the short-term surge capacity is before the plates start melting.  Use the ampere-hour ratings to determine how many batteries you'll need to sustain the amp's current draw for the time period you wish to operate on battery power alone.  Placing batteries in parallel keeps the voltage the same but their current capacity adds together.
Support the12volt.com
sweetnessa 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2007 at 11:41 AM / IP Logged  
i just want it  not to keep the car off i want to sustain the current to have power but i do not know the ah rating on my batteries they are everstartmaxx batteries maxx-1n i have two of them
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2007 at 11:55 AM / IP Logged  

everstartmaxx... never heard of them so I looked them up.  Apparently some kind of Walmart-only brand?  Not a lot of good things being said about them on the web.

In any case, while the engine is running your power comes from your alternator not from the batteries.

Support the12volt.com
soultinter 
Copper - Posts: 170
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2007 at 2:19 PM / IP Logged  
are those even deep cycle batteries?
sweetnessa 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2007 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  
well no there not deepcycle but im not planing to have music playing with the  car off with the car on only.Well alot of people say that they dont help that is the alternator but thats not nessaserally true they help for a couple of minutes until they are drained the its only the alternator left alone
DYohn 
Posted: February 18, 2007 at 4:12 PM / IP Logged  

sweetnessa wrote:
well no there not deepcycle but im not planing to have music playing with the  car off with the car on only.Well alot of people say that they dont help that is the alternator but thats not nessaserally true they help for a couple of minutes until they are drained the its only the alternator left alone

This is completely incorrect and indeed it's the other way around.  Your vehicle (and your stereo) will pull power from your batteries if and only if the alternator is overloaded or not functioning.  The battery's job is to 1) start the car, 2) provide instantaneous surge capacity, 3) support loads for a short period of time if the alternator cannot keep up or if the engine is off.

Support the12volt.com
sweetnessa 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2007 at 10:58 PM / IP Logged  
well i deffinetly belive you on that so can you give me a recomendation i have a 150 ho alternator will this keep up with the demands of this amp or do u have any suggestions i think that thats the biggest they make for my car dyohn
DYohn 
Posted: February 18, 2007 at 11:38 PM / IP Logged  

Your amp is rated at 1800 watts @ 1% THD and requires a 200 amp external fuse.  I suggest your 150 amp alternator may be sufficient as long as you don't run full-out all the time, but you'd be better off with an alt closer to 240 amps.

Support the12volt.com
sweetnessa 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2007 at 1:31 AM / IP Logged  
well i will be droping it to 2 ohms soon and that will be 3000 rms 1800rms was at 4 ohms so when i start running the 3000rms i need a bigger alternator so can you give me a good site that would make one for a nissan altima 1997 and how many amps should this alternator be thank you dyohn

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic