icon

karr security programming, dip switches

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
duck_95 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2007 at 9:53 AM / IP Logged  

Excellent information.  The cover of the box is black and has no markings whatsever.  I did get an email back from Karr Security about programming the options.  I made some sense of it, it should be helpfull.  Is this a 2040 or 4040?  It seems to be a 4040.  Do I need to disable anything on my keyless entry for this to work in my 4Runner?

Programming: turn key on to ignition press valet 3 times, turn key off, turn back onyou will be on

feature #1 passive arming, press arm/disarm button on remote to change. 1 beep on, 2 beeps off

press valet for feature #2 ignition controlled door lock, press arm/disarm button on remote. 1 beep on, 2 beeps off.

press valet for feature #3 ignition controlled door unlock, press arm/ disarm button on remote. 1 beep on, 2 beeps off.

press valet for feature #4 passive door locks, press arm/disarm button on remote.1 beep on, 2 beeps off.

press valet for feature #5 silent arm/disarm on remote (horn will always honk while arming or disarming). press arm/disarm button on remote. 1 beep on, 2 beeps off
press valet for feature #6 soft or loud chirp, press arm/disarm button on remote.
soft chirp or loud chirp.
press valet for feature #7 defective zone bypass (use this if domelight has a delay)
press arm/disarm button on remote. 1 beep on, 2 beeps off
press valet for feature #8 single stage unlock or two stage unlock
press arm/disarm button on remote. 1 beep on, 2 beeps off.
press valet for feature #9 (last feature) single pulse, extended pulse, double pulse (unlock feature). press arm/disarm button 1 beep single pulse, 2 beeps extended pulse, 3 beeps double pulse unlocking.

P.S. black Karr brain only has first 6 features, gray Karr brain has all 9
youngblood 
Copper - Posts: 77
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2007 at 2:11 PM / IP Logged  
j12v wrote:
From the pic you posted it looks like the 2040 system. Do you have the cover to it? It should say it on there is the cover is gray.
A little trick to reset the brain would be to grab a long thin piece of metal of somesort   and making it touch all the pins to the alarm. A lot of karr alarm installers do this.
To reset the alarm while it goes off when its installed you turn the key to ignition on, and hit the valet button 3 times. You may want to try a different switch if it doesn't work cause the wires from the led pod tend to break inside the black tubing.
You don't reset the alarm, you put it into 'valet' mode. And you don't need to press the valet button three times... only once after you turn the Ignition 'on', and only after you pressed it(once) within several seconds after the key was turned.
And not 'a lot' of Karr alarm installers incite continuity amongst all pins on a Karr alarm. In fact... I'm guessing VERY few do, if any. And... of the thousands of Karr alarms I've installed, I've seen a very scant few of the LED wires go faulty, VERY FEW. As much as I hated working for Karr, I will say that the equipment is solid. And... if you've identified that alarm with the cover off as a 2040, coupled with most anything else you've recommended, then I'm not sure if you should be posting a great deal. It's just my opinion, no offense intended. I would just like you to stop posting false and misleading information. It could confuse people.
j12v 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2007 at 3:42 PM / IP Logged  

The 4040's brains has inputs on both left and right sides of it, and the main harness being in the middle. The 2040's have the input for the main harness, and inputs only on ONE side. I admit I DID NOT double check nor did I try to look closely at the pic (I was standing in line outside at 4:45am this morning in the cold when I looked at it) but from what I remember seeing, it only had the main harness input in the center and 4 inputs for the other stuff on one side, and NO inputs for anything else... but...

I just checked the pic, and it only has inputs for the main harness and inputs on ONE side. I apologize for giving him wrong info, but it was 4 in the morn when I looked at it and when I WORKED for KARR Security the BLACK 4040's were obsolete. The 2040's and 4040's they use now are ALL GRAY, and if its not the 2040's or 4040's its the new HP system they're using which is just as solid as the older alarm models with simpler installation.

If you consider my statement about 'alot of KARR alarm installers' yada yada yada being misleading... You can think what you want. But its the TRUTH. I worked for KARR AFTER you did, and I can name installers that KARR considers the 'TOP INSTALLERS' that do incite continuity and even some of the non-top installers but Id doubt you'd know them. I can PM you the names, and I KNOW for a fact that you know them cause they trained me and Ive heard your name come out there mouths before.

The only thing that I can see of what I posted being 'misleading' is the amount of times you press the valet button to shut the alarm off. I said 3 times, but in fact you are correct about hitting it only once. I understand what you say about having no offense, but its kinda hard you saying that you would like me to stop posting misleading information, and even IF the info I post in future is false and misleading what are you going to do about it? You didnt even give me a chance to correct myself, and if you looked at my post closer, I never actually said it WAS a 2040, I said IT LOOKED LIKE. Sorry Im not Mr. I know all about KARR alarms. I was just giving him every possible thing I can think of about the wiring inside the tubing JUST IN CASE all else fails, what harm is in that?

Again, I apologize for giving you the wrong amount of times to hit the valet button to shut the alarm off (Not to put it in valet mode), but pressing it 2 extra times isnt going to make your car explode into flames.

j12v 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2007 at 3:44 PM / IP Logged  
j12v wrote:

The 4040's brains has inputs on both left and right sides of it, and the main harness being in the middle. The 2040's have the input for the main harness, and inputs only on ONE side. I admit I DID NOT double check nor did I try to look closely at the pic (I was standing in line outside at 4:45am this morning in the cold when I looked at it) but from what I remember seeing, it only had the main harness input in the center and 4 inputs for the other stuff on one side, and NO inputs for anything else... but...

When I said this, the 2040's and 4040's I speak of are the ones that are CURRENTLY being used by KARR. Not the older model like the one posted in the pic.

duck_95 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2007 at 2:33 PM / IP Logged  
I installed this finally in my 4Runner.  Went great, works great.  I just would like to find out which options I can program it with and what the 6 dip switches do.  Thanks to everybody for their help.  Please disregard my post with the instructions because they are for a 2040.  The brain I've got is 4040, thanks Youngblood.
youngblood 
Copper - Posts: 77
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2007 at 11:02 AM / IP Logged  
Karr's top installers.... Octavian Bynum and Lee Kanchana Loch. Not necessarily in that order. I could name a few more capable installers, but they sacrificed quality for quantity(which is exactly what Karr wants). When a top installer stops doing top notch work, I'm afraid he's no longer a top installer. But that's just my opinion, which is worth as much as a turd in a taco stand.
As far as the 2040's and 4040's... gray or black, they all looked virtually identical except for the two stage unlock option which added an extra wire to the 2040 and some other programming features, but they still look the same. Color wouldn't make a difference in identifying that alarm as a 4040. I'm not saying your incompetent. You just made a mistake. Anyone can make them... I made one once.
duck_95 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2007 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  

This is straight from Karr's customer support for programming the 4040.

Programming the 4040 is almost the same,
turn ignition on,
press valet 3 times,
turn ignition off,
turn ignition back on, (will not give you confirmation)
press valet 1 time to go to  feature #1,  press again for feature #2 and so on. (8 features in all)
To change features you will have to use the lock button on the door, not the factory remote. (1 beep turns feature on, 2 beeps turns off). This will also depend on you hooking up the doorlock wires correctly.

Features:
1. Ignition controlled lock
2. Igniion controlled unlock
3. Passive locking
4. Passive arming
5. Instant or delayed domelight
6. one wire disarming or two wire disarming
7. defective zone bypass
8. door unlock output 1 beep single, 2 beep extended, 3 beep double pulse. (this feature is used if you wire up 2 pin connector)
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic